1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

High-mass stands for Tannoys?

Discussion in 'classic' started by eastone, Sep 29, 2017.

1. eastone

eastone pfm Member

Don't hesitate Jules. They sound bloody great now - just immensely open and really swinging!

I have taken some pics but to upload them I'd have to unplug the DAC :)

2. julesd68

julesd68 pfm Member

Ha - OK I have sent the seller a message to get the ball rolling ...

3. eastone

eastone pfm Member

4. eastone

eastone pfm Member

The top plate is sized to fit exactly inside the three 'rails' that constitute the speakers' base.

Here shown without spikes which I thought sounded a lot better on this very solid floor.

5. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

I'm curious as to how a stand can directly affect upper frequencies given that such frequencies become increasingly directional? Isn't it more likely that in absolute terms, the upper frequencies remain unchanged, and that only the mid and lower frequencies are being changed by the stands?

6. julesd68

julesd68 pfm Member

Yes I do like the look of these, thanks for the pic ...
    Look more solid than my metal frame stands on castors for sure.

Would you by any chance have kept a note of dimensions?
    I'd like to compare mine if poss ...

I presume you have the driver firing roughly at ear height ...

7. eastone

eastone pfm Member

Yes the centre of the driver is at ear height without using the spikes. My sofa is fairly low at 40ish cm so you may want to adjust these dimensions for your own listening position:

H365mm excluding spikes
    Top plate W325xD215mm
    Base plate W400xD265mm

8. julesd68

julesd68 pfm Member

Interesting - your cabs are different size to mine!

9. eastone

eastone pfm Member

oh really - what do yours measure??

10. winchman

winchman pfm Member

Having made lots of different metal stands in the past I find all this very interesting, it quite amazing how filling, design and material can make such a difference, I tried loads of heavy stands with my speakers but found Linn Sara stands worked best.
    Years ago I built set of speaker cabs to use whilst mine were being repaired, I used very thick MDF with loads of bracing all screwed and glued lined with High Density stick on foam and was shocked at how good they sounded.
    I feel the key is to take your time and experiment

11. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

Could I suggest one last filler, it may be the best of both worlds for you, it's how I have found it over the years, low mass, but enough to tighten up low frequencies without compromising midrange expression.

That is...wood pellet cat littler from Tesco, it's 100% natural wood, one bag would fill both.
    I use this in my metal stands in my other room, seems sensible to use it in the oak stands.
    two thirds in each stand should be enough.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-...VQjPTCh37bQcbEAQYASABEgIR4_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

12. julesd68

julesd68 pfm Member

width is 37cm and depth is 23cm ...

Can't believe I'm going to be buying cat litter ... :D

13. eastone

eastone pfm Member

Aah cheers for the link Ragaman. I've been in half the shops in SE London looking for wooden cat litter - my local Tescos just had the chalk/mineral amalgam stuff which sounded crap and was dusty as hell.

I'll have to get some delivered. Will report back!

14. eastone

eastone pfm Member

These are the outside cabinet measurements? How tall are they?

15. eastone

eastone pfm Member

Quite right. That was poorly phrased. I simply meant the system sounding properly balanced so that the lower frequencies weren't dominating.

16. julesd68

julesd68 pfm Member

Height is 84cm.

Those are the measurements that the top plate will need, ie the recessed bit under the main part of the cab, if that makes sense?

17. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

I think someones pulling your plonker, you need to use talcum powder.

18. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

Has anyone tried diatomaceous earth?

19. eastone

eastone pfm Member

Yes but I came out in a dreadful rash.

I think I shall try brown rice next. Much more organic tone, I've heard...

20. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

How did you get on with the wood pellets.