1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

HM The Queen in tax scandal!

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Arkless Electronics, Nov 5, 2017.

1. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Rich, relax- there's no shame in being a non-dom landlord, these are bigger fish. Your gelt pile is relatively inconspicuous- for now anyway.

2. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

+1

the royals make the headlines whilst the real vermin robbing the nation slip under the radar in relative terms.

3. Still

Still gyldengourd

fify and yes.

4. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

Exactly. 13 million documents: this could make the Panama Papers look like a limited leak. Allegedly involved in various tax avoidance schemes: members of Trump's entourage (Wilbur Ross, with interesting links to Russian companies, too; Rex Tillerson; Gary Cohn; Stephen Schwarzmann and other drain-the-swamp characters); Gazprom investment in Facebook and VTB investment in Twitter. And much else besides, such as the little matter of Lord Ashcroft's alleged millions in Belize or somewhere while a resident in the UK.

Maybe a mod could alter the title accordingly.

5. Cav

Cav pfm Member

Lewis Hamilton.

6. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

worth reading the small print

Nothing she has done is illegal in any way and anyway,
    she is tax exempt.
    Could it be her estate managers were trying to maximise her income...I'd guess they are payed to do that, just like everybody else does.

When is a story not a story?

7. Cav

Cav pfm Member

Exactly. Why castigate people for doing nothing illegal?

This BBC "investigative journalism" is trying to blame people who are doing nothing that is against any law. The BBC should be harassing HMRC for doing nothing to stop it.

8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Agreed. It is a government issue. The government clearly knows about the tax loopholes and chicanery as they are widely exploited by exceptionally wealthy party members and backers like Lord Ashcroft. This one is on Theresa May’s desk. It is her government policy that Ashcroft etc pay no tax and as a result of inadequate state finance people sleep rough on our streets, A&E departments or whatever close. The whole thing needs viewing as a very deliberate and cynical government strategy to appease its wealthy owners and backers. Exactly the deliberately venal and divisive policies one would expect from a class warrior party.

9. clifftaylor

clifftaylor pfm Member

Nice! How did that happen? Can I do that as well??

When it involves the Queen's money apparently - but obv she worked bloody hard for it...

10. richgilb

richgilb I voted out lol....

wtf does that mean?!

11. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Arkless

I do hope a Corbyn gov would immediately make all this sort of thing illegal.

12. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

Hope springs eternal.
    We've had all sorts of Labour governments since WW2, and these tax paradises are still there and in use by British corporations and citizens.

13. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

The problem is that in this globalised world, unless every country makes it illegal, the money and the business just goes somewhere else and carries on.

I'd like to see the principals treated like pariahs, their businesses' products shunned. Not holding my breath.

14. Still

Still gyldengourd

Because there issues which go beyond law.
    Like morality. And as head of state/church setting an example of good conduct.
    These schemes are synthetic and only exist to circumvent tax.

Auntie is such a swine!

Hold on - I've just remembered something.
    The documents were obtained by the German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung, which called in the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (link).

"World Taekwondo Federation does that mean?"

Sorry, I don't understand.

15. richgilb

richgilb I voted out lol....

No shame. Very happy with my role as a landlord. My tenants are happy, my houses are in good shape, I never put the rent up on a tenant and have never had to chuck one out. I always do the certificates and I always send a man with white van to sort problems when they ring up. And not even an alt-right Brexiteer man in white van. My mates from being in bands.

Even had one tenant growing pot in the back bedroom for 4 years or more. Why would I care. Live and let live, provide a good service and worry less about the pension.

16. Still

Still gyldengourd

Rich's post works best if you read it in the style of Brenda.

17. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Why are the BBC just repeating Panorama in the news slot?

18. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

To keep the brexit clusterfvck below the radar. Convenient distractions abound at the moment.

19. Still

Still gyldengourd

It's not listed as a repeat, and the bbc1 evening news was last at 9 o'clock 17 years ago.

20. jtrade

jtrade pfm Member

It seems that both Labour & Tory governments have been equally unsuccessful in this regard for decades. Nevertheless, the EU Anti-Tax Avoidance Directive - which is supposed to come fully into force in 2019 - seems to be slowly tightening the noose.

Unfortunately, the really huge corporate avoiders are the hardest to corner - just look at what Tim Cook brazenly said to whatever committee was questioning him : that not only was Apple complying with all tax law, but also with the spirit of said laws.... utter bollocks, but they're still getting away with it.