1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Holst - The Planets OP. 32

Discussion in 'classical' started by flatpopely, Apr 26, 2014.

1. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

If you love music, and I guess that is why you are looking, listen to this.

It's famous for 'Mars the bringer of war' but TBH that's a lead in to the rest of the music.

It's quite the most sublime thing made for ones ears.

If you thought classical was not for you it is!

It's a roller coaster of superb tunes and counterpoints; some of them bring me to tears every time.

2. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Box-swapper extraordinaire

The star (sorry, couldn't resist) of the show is Jupiter.

3. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

4. Whaleblue

5. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

6. Whaleblue

7. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

8. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

9. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

10. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

My recording is the Decca SXL2305 Von Karajan/VPO.

Sublime.

11. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

That would be a great recording but..... they didn't appear to have any tubular bells in Vienna in 1960 so instead they used dustbin lids at the climax of Saturn. Totally ruins it for me.

12. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

It`s an abberation but doesn`t spoil the overall recording for me. It was the first recording I heard more than once when I recorded it off R3 back on the 22nd July 1966 (still in my recording book) and even now it is only just shaded by the final Boult recording - in my opinion.

13. 1964meb

1964meb pfm Member

My dad had that and when I hear the planets on the radio ...... They just don't match that recording.

M

14. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

This is so true.

15. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

16. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I started with Alexander Gibson's SNO recording-Id been to a concert performance one glorious summer at the Kelvin Hall when I was younger. Then I got Previn's recording, which I still have. Think I've got a Rattle BPO too...

17. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

18. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Took nearly a week though.

I await delivery of the Dutoit recording and will report back.

19. kumachan

kumachan pfm Member

Yoel Levi's Atlanta SO on Telarc came top of the pile when R3's Building a Library did their survey of the best Planets. Perhaps surprising, but it's full-on stuff.

20. andrewsutton

andrewsutton pfm Member

I think you will like the Dutoit. It is my favourite.
    Cheers Andy.