1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Holst - The Planets OP. 32

Discussion in 'classical' started by flatpopely, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Crumpets. I can hear crumpets.

This is the version I have on vinyl - how do other versions compare?

[​IMG]

2. shrink

shrink pfm Member

I have the version that came with tha CHANDOS box set I bought a few years back. Amazingly it's also the RSNO and as such is a familiar performance to me. It's also a lovely and unfussy recording

3. Cuyahoga

Cuyahoga pfm Member

Their Ravel 4CD set is extremely excellent, even if it does have to include the awful Bolero (this is the one piece of Ravel's which I absolutely hate - boring, tedious, tedious and boring).

4. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

I find it strangely hypnotic though it`s not a piece I listen to often. My Mother would completely agree with you however, having first heard it at a Prom during or just after the war. Standing in the Gods, really hot evening, no view and it went on.... and on.... and on. She has never been able to listen to it since.

5. Cuyahoga

Cuyahoga pfm Member

It nearly drove a musician friend mad: she complained of the wait...the wait...the wait...the wait...for that key change...and then felt annoyed and let down...

I've always been a bit confused as to why I hate Bolero, given my liking for other music which using repetition, slight shifts, cycling themes and the like, but I cannot pin it down.

6. Minstrel SE

Minstrel SE These go to eleven

Yep I will get on the job and have it in very shortly. Probably Karajan for me and I will have it in for a few quid. I think its in the charity shop :)

Ive just been listening to a boxset of Karajan conducting Tosca. You can have Half Man Half Biscuit and classical opera :)

7. Minstrel SE

Minstrel SE These go to eleven

I have ordered Karajan with the Vienna Philharmonic. Decca label cd £2.99 new....I love the internet.

I read one forum entry that said Imogen Holst loved that particular recording which swung the decision.

Had a good day with classical in the charity shops yesterday Saint Saens, Bach, Mendelssohn etc. 33p a pop in as new condition! Those Orbis classical collection cds are a great introduction to any composer. It was a build up magazine collection and theres about 95 of them!

The Saint Saens Fantasy in E flat for organ and Organ Symphony no 3 are a great workout for 12" drivers :)

8. Rexton

Rexton Member

Anyone get any thoughts on Previn's recording of the Plantets?

9. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Anybody else listen to Building a Library yesterday? I thought it was interesting but rather more fragmented than usual and I didn`t come away with a burning desire to add to my present collection of different versions.

10. slammel

slammel pfm Member

Fragmented yes, I found it a bit of a task to keep up at times. It covered a lot of ground and seemed aimed at the more musically literate so a lot went over my head but still an interesting listen. Something to return to on iplayer perhaps http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04jj37s , starting at about 35 mins in.

The one eventually chosen by David Owen-Norris was a 2009 recording by Paavo Järvi and the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra http://www.amazon.co.uk/Holst-The-Planets-Gustav/dp/B002MHTGM2

To compare there is a ridiculous number of versions of The Planets on Spotify to wade through, though sadly not the Jarvi. I spent some time diving in to various popular versions and, unsurprisingly perhaps, so far the Boult seems as close as you would probably get to a definitive version but I also rate the Gardiner/ Philharmonia and Davis/ BBC Symphony. A highly regarded version I didn't get on with was the Jurowski/ LPO, lively and pacey it may be but overall far too rushed for me. There's also a curious version by Mardjani and the Georgian Festival Orchestra which has an amazing OTT lush acoustic which works nicely in parts but really is overwhelming, not one for the purist me thinks.

Stefan

11. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

Gardiner/ Philharmonia does funny things with the rhythm in Mars I think... doesn't sound quite right to me.

Interesting that BBC should choose Jarvi/Cincinnati - they've made some superb records of standard repertoire in last 10-12 years or so that have been pretty much ignored by UK music critics - check out their Petrouchka/Firebird and Symphonie Fantastique.

12. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Rob Cowan will be playing the Jarvi on R3 at 11.00 today.

13. Bill Colledge

Bill Colledge pfm Member

Well, yes, I have just listened to this recording for the 1st time, on LP. Very good apart from the end of Saturn.

I think you have got it wrong regarding the dustbin lids, the sound is too high, I think they are tin cans.

My personal favourite, Dutoit.

14. Colin L

Colin L pfm Member

I have the KEF sponsored Boult version on the black stuff, and it's my fave of the seven versions I have

15. I thought I'd revive this thread by letting you know that I have a website/blog that ranks and reviews all available CDs of The Planets:

https://petersplanets.wordpress.com/

Enjoy!

16. wylton

wylton pfm Member

Nice One!

There's a copy of your No. 38; Sir Charles Mackerras, Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, 1989, in the Pink Fish record shop. You gave it a pretty good review, so I just ordered it!

17. wylton

wylton pfm Member

Oh, and I already have:

48. William Steinberg, Boston Symphony Orchestra, 1970 (LP)

and

56. Adrian Leaper, CSR Symphony Orchestra (Bratislava), 1988 (CD)

18. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

As long as SXL2305 come out best all is good........

19. Dave Cattlin

Dave Cattlin pfm Member

My favourite is in at number 3

Elder

love Saturn best me

Dave

20. wylton

wylton pfm Member

Nah, Charles Dutoit, Orchestre symphonique de Montréal, 1986 came out top.

SXL2305 (Herbert von Karajan, Vienna Philharmonic) is 39 on the list, assuming they are listed in the order of merit.