1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Holst - The Planets OP. 32

Discussion in 'classical' started by flatpopely, Apr 26, 2014.

1. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

The list is wrong then ...........LOL

2. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

It is very wrong, the only listing I wouldn`t argue with is 1981 Karajan at 66, of the recordings I have heard.

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’ve got the Solti ‘cat meow’ SXL at #49.

4. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Well it's one man's take on it. Quite an undertaking - I'm tempted to ask "why?" but then I wonder about people who do mountaineering or obsess over getting the last ounce of quality from an LP12...YMMV as they say.

Peter, are you an orchestral player/conductor? You seem to have very detailed knowledge of the score (even if it is such a popular one).

I'm now going to struggle to get "The Boultster" out of my head...

5. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Absolutely,and he has certainly listened to more recordings than I have and probably more often but no Boult above 10? - come on....

Just my opinion of course.

6. Buntobox

Buntobox Well-Known Member

A bit unorthodox but I'm a fan of Stokowski and the Los Angeles PO

7. JTWzen

JTWzen Member

Just heard it at The Philharmonic Hall in Liverpool. It was also on Radio 3 so available on iPlayer. Very good it was too.

8. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

I want to take my Dad to hear it.
    Where is the best place to find out where it is being played.
    I’m a total newbie at classical concerts so please be gentle.

9. windhoek

windhoek pfm Member

I've got three from the list:

#11 Zubin Mehta Los Angeles PO, 1971 (LP; Speakers Corner Records)
    #36 Sir Andrew Davis BBC PO, 2010 (SACD)
    #46 Walter Susskind St. Louis SO, 1975 (SACD).

10. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Did the Portsmouth Symphonia ever get their hands on them?

11. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

I reckon this is the must-hear Planets this autumn if you can get your dad to London:

http://www.philharmonia.co.uk/conce...MIj67y2e6N1wIVKCjTCh2SQwqtEAAYASAAEgKDfvD_BwE

I'm not enough of a fan of the work to justify it (and heard daughter play it with the NYO fairly recently :D) but I expect you would also like RVW 7 - so another reason to go. John Wilson is the man!

12. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

RVW 7 I think but all Vaughan Williams is good and John Wilson is one of the current top men as you say.
    I tend to be in Hertford Thursdays otherwise I would be strongly tempted, should be very good.

13. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Yes 7..Typo. Edited immediately but you're on fire today, Barry!

14. Excellent.

15. Yep.

16. Sorry about that, Nic.

As to the question "Why?", I was asked on another classical music forum to name my five favourite Planets recordings. I got carried away.

And I'd be the first to admit that the list is simply a reflection of my taste in Planets recordings. That's why I called it Peter's Planets. It's definitely not The Only Planets List That Anybody Will Ever Need Because It's Incredibly Authoritative And Can't Be Questioned.

I'm not an orchestral dude. I'm a rock musician (bass guitar) but don't play at the moment due to ill-health. (I could call myself a "non-practising musician".)

I have the score, and occasionally consult it while I'm listening.

I'm happy to answer any other questions. I'm only a keyboard away!

17. Quite possibly.

18. They did.

[YOUTUBE]eQlsrJY7dKQ[/YOUTUBE]

19. Splendid.

20. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

That`s entirely reasonable and I appologise for saying your list was wrong, actually I think the best part of such lists is to disagree with them, otherwise there is little to comment on.

For the record I have 1,4,5,14,33,34,39 and 66.

Of these 34, Boult 1978 is my favourite and I could easily dispense with 33, Gibson 1980 and 66 Karajan 1981.

Tempting though some of the other recordings on your list are I am trying hard to resist adding to my collection, I don`t have the shelf space.