1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Holst - The Planets OP. 32

Discussion in 'classical' started by flatpopely, Apr 26, 2014.

1. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

I have 28 (Boult 1945, cleaned up CD version), 34 (Boult 1978) and 39 (Karajan VPO 1961). That's quite enough Planets for me, but I may get 2 (Osawa) as part of a big box I'm getting (prompted by reading a book of conversations of his with Murakami).

2. No problem at all, BM. And I agree completely. I shudder to think of a world in which everyone had exactly the same tastes. Ugh.

Can't you build more shelves? Or buy a bigger house?

3. JTWzen

JTWzen Member

I've had this recording for many years, and love it, enjoy yours, let us know what you think.

4. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

Well I quite agree with Dutoit/Montreal being no.1. They get everything right. Including being able to hear and feel the organ contributions.

My 2nd fave is Boult's final recording on EMI, assume that is the 1978 LPO one?

I think I could find space on my hard drive for a modern hi-res recording that was every bit as good a performance as Dutoit/Montreal but even better sound.

5. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

I love that Boult one which i bought on vinyl in the early 80s. Still a treasured record. I think of it like one's grandfather telling stories about the adventures of his youth.

6. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Apart from recording the work five times Boult conducted the premiere and probably knew Holst better than any other conductor who has recorded the piece. This doesn`t automatically mean his recordings are the best but certainly his final recording in 1978 takes some beating, in my opinion.

It was also his penultimate recording before retirement, made sixty years after he conducted the first performance.

(I am a great admirer of Adrian Boult, in case anyone was wondering)

7. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

Me too... his Brahms 1st from 1970s is an absolute stonker.

8. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

My boss had the honour of playing the solo part in Brahms' second piano concerto under him.

9. Yep.

The Dutoit/Montréal Planets has been issued four times (1987, 1998, 2004, 2008), and the sound quality in every release has been identical. It's never been remastered.

I'd say that Decca/London have never felt the need to "improve" the sound.

As far as better-sounding Planets recordings go, I can thoroughly recommend the one by Seiji Ozawa and the Boston Symphony Orchestra. It's fabulous. It's neither hi-res nor modern (it's from 1979), but it sounds wonderfully transparent. I wouldn't call it "better" than the Dutoit, just different.

10. Buntobox

Buntobox Well-Known Member

I've known the Planets since I was about five when my mother brought home a CFP reissue of Stokowski and the LA Phil from Woolworths, priced at 12/6. I've since added Steinberg, Karajan (twice) and now Boult. Listening to the Boult 1979 recording made my eyes go wide with amazement at the performance. I'd never heard anything like it. It was like hearing the piece for the first time again. Stunning stuff!