1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

If you were introducing someone to jazz...

Discussion in 'music' started by MUTTY1, Jul 26, 2003.

1. MUTTY1

MUTTY1 Waste of bandwidth

what would you play them ? [One album only]

Since you asked , mine would be Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Soul finger, mosaic, et all.

Paul

2. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

Well it's such a huge genre I doubt any one record exists to encompass all of it.

So I'd play them four:

- Louis Armstrong, Hot Fives and Sevens (a cheat, since it's a box set, but I wouldn't play them all of it, honest)

- Duke Ellington, Newport 1956

- Coltrane, Complete Village Vanguard Recordings (another box set cheat)

- Peter Brotzmann, Fuck de Boere

If I really had to choose just one, it'd be Armstrong. Or Brotzmann if I didn't like them.

-- Ian

3. joel

joel mojo working

Ahh, the truth is out...

Mine would be Blues and Roots by Mingus. All jazz and all life is here.
    From the roots to the future of jazz, and the whole range of recordable emotion.
    The album also swings like nothing else ever recorded (IMMHO) and you can just give yourself up and dance away.
    The new wave of folk dance :D

4. Kit Taylor

Kit Taylor Well-Known Member

Alice Coltrane's Journey in Satchindananda.

It's a great album in its own right and it's a great transition album as it's not "pure" strain of jazz, though it introduxces jazzy concepts and sounds.

5. AlexG

AlexG ...

Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else

Or Miles Davis - In A Silent Way

Or Herbie Hancock - either Empyrean Isles or Maiden Voyage

Call me a boring old traditionalist if you like.

AG

PS - cue several replies saying 'you are a boring old traditionalist'.

6. Kit Taylor

Kit Taylor Well-Known Member

Ooh no, Empyrean Isles is great. Again it's not so hardcore jazz, a little funky and a little classical as it is.

7. lilolee

lilolee pfm Member

I find Gerry Mulligan and/or Dave Brubeck to be a good place to start. Almost all of the 'Cool' style of jazz should be considered -Stan Getz, Bill Evans etc.

8. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

Did someone mention Alice Coltrane? <shiver>

Kit, I suspect you sometimes wear an afghan and purple loon pants.

-- Ian

9. Rico

Rico Registered User

Yeah, I'd likely go for Somethin' Else, or Moanin'.

A safe bet would be one of the Blue Note samplers - gives a broad taste, rather than limiting a newbie to a particular flavour of Jazz that may not strike the sympathetic chord, or awaken the "decding mechanism" in the prospective's brain.

Rico

10. Markus S

Markus S 41 - 29

Somethin' Else or Kind of Blue.

11. Jonathan Ribee

Jonathan Ribee Unavailable at present

The Summit / Together Again

12. MUTTY1

MUTTY1 Waste of bandwidth

Yes, great life-affirming stuff. Should be subtitled ' The Joy of Jazz'

Must admit a better choise than the Messengers.

Paul

13. MarkW

MarkW Best Sounds Ever

Tomorrow is the Question - Coleman

If your imaginary neophyte doesn't get that - there is no hope.

MarkW

14. space cadet

space cadet dronefed and floating

Throw 'em in at the deep end I say...
    Echo by Dave Burrell should blow anybody's mind