1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Ikea Kallax Shelving - Help with weight considerations

Discussion in 'audio' started by hockman, Aug 17, 2017.

1. hockman

hockman pfm Member

Because of my ever expanding record collection piling up on the floor, I am thinking of getting a couple of Kallax shelves. I am looking at the double 4-shelf units to be installed on their side, e.g.:

[​IMG]

The problem is Ikea states that the max. load per shelf is 13kg. According to my estimates, each shelf is able to contain approximately 90 or so records depending on how tightly you pack them. Thus each shelf would easily weigh about 25 kg, way in excess of the weight limit.

So how do people manage to fill up their Kallax units with records, I wonder? The Ikea website pics even show records on the Kallax along with the fashionable turntable.

My alternative is to have the shelves custom-built which would likely be much more expensive but not that much better aesthetics-wise.

2. zippy

zippy pfm Member

I think you'd be OK if you used some angle brackets under the shelves to reinforce them (I've done this on my hifi cabinet) OR even better, squares of white melamine the exact size of the cupboard under the shelves, and fixed to the sides so the support is then underneath (if you know what I mean - it's almost impossible to accurately describe it !)
    The problem is usually that the shelves are cross-pieces which rely on a couple of dowels or similar into the side pieces for their support, and that's not the strongest way to support the shelves.

Having said that, I suspect IKEA are covering themselves by quoting 13 Kg - they'll probably hold a lot more

3. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

My Kallax (actually it's predecessor) is 4 X 4, stuffed to the gills with vinyl in every section, has stood for 5 years, is still absolutely solid.
    No need for reinforcement.
    The only change I added was thin strips at the back of each opening to keep the albums in and slightly forward.

However the illustration is orientated wrongly.
    It is essential that the unbroken shelf goes horizontally.

Mr Cat likes this.
  4. Alfaholic

Alfaholic Member

5. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Box-swapper extraordinaire

The predecessor to Kallax used rather thicker materials if I remember correctly.

6. Pinky

Pinky In suspense, not compressed

I've got a Kallax 4x4 and a couple of it's predecessor Expedit, also 4x4's. No problems with full shelves of records. Although the Kallax has slightly thinner panels they are supposed to be just as strong if not stronger than Expedit (according to IKEA blurb I saw at the time).

Also, does an individual shelf full of records really weigh 25kg? When I'm home later I'll take a shelfful out and weigh them!

7. GaryT

GaryT pfm Member

I'm using a 4x4 with a 1x2 sitting on top. The 4x4 is attached to the wall using the supplied brackets, and I've had no problems (been up 3 years now). As long as you have the long shelf running horizontally there should be no issue.

[​IMG]Kallax by gthompson60, on Flickr

8. Dougie2404

Dougie2404 pfm Member

Like Bob mine has around 80 to a section, no problems, also a 4x4 and using 9 sections at the moment.

9. guey

guey pfm Member

As people have said, they're fine if oriented correctly - that illustration isn't.
    If you want the top to be at that height, you'd have to use double the number of the 2x2 units.

10. Nero

Nero It's unlikely

It's a good idea to glue it together, and orientate it correctly :)

[​IMG]

Rick_F, Hempknight and Mr Cat like this.
  11. hockman

hockman pfm Member

I was wondering when that photo was going to show up. :) Yes I am trying to avoid that, hence my question.

12. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

The failure mode for these is that they parallelogram (shear failure, structural engineers) and this is more likely when they are 4 wide 2 high than the vertical option. The fix is to screw them to a wall or stiffen the back with some hardboard or other bracing. Yes,hardboard. Looks useless, is useless under bending, but fantastic when properly used.

13. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

If you note though in the picture the long shelves were vertical.
    That is a recipe for disaster.

Put them horizontally.

14. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

First I saw the records - ouch
    Then the rack
    What about the turntable !!

One unhappy bunny there

15. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

The rack has racked!
    Its the wrong way round but the failure was caused by it racking i.e. tilting over sideways, if it was fixed to the wall or had some diagonal strapping it would not have failed.

If you undo the bottom of a cardboard box you can fold it flat.

Pete

16. scolarest

scolarest pfm Member

Shirley the quick way to stop prevent the parallelogram (shear failure) I found was to insert the Kallax cupboard door modules.

Last time I looked £8 a shot but they kept the front nice and tidy and also stopped the cats from sharpening their claws on the record sleeves.

17. Pinky

Pinky In suspense, not compressed

Have just checked the quantity and weight of one typical section in my Kallax 4x4 unit.

It's holding 88 records which weigh in at 23.3kg. Heavier than I realised!

The records are a typical mixture of standard albums, gatefolds and 12" singles. All are in plastic outer sleeves. There is room to fit two or three more in if I wanted to squeeze them in.

Hope this helps with your deliberations!

18. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

I think fixing to a wall would be better.

Pete

19. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

If oriented correctly Kallax will easily take the weight - the pfm record shop relies on them! The thing I'm not certain of is if the 2x4 on its side is oriented correctly, I suspect it may not be. Long shelves need to be horizontal, short dividers vertical, no exceptions.

20. k90tour

k90tour pfm Member

[​IMG]

A year on and so far so good. Even with all that heavy Wagner onboard