1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Ikea Kallax Shelving - Help with weight considerations

Discussion in 'audio' started by hockman, Aug 17, 2017.

1. hi-fi132

hi-fi132 pfm Member

Agree with this. I used Kallax units for ages with no added support, fully loaded with box sets on the top and they were fine. I later added a solid back, using thin board pinned to the sides and to the back of each shelf. It strengthened the structure and allowed the records to push backwards, making them even at the front. Ikea supply brackets to screw the units to a wall, you could use these for that purpose or to fix some timber bars to the back perhaps.

2. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

Just to reiterate what some have said, 4 x 2s should be stacked vertically; there seem to be others on this thread suggesting the opposite.

3. hockman

hockman pfm Member

Thanks for the responses. I am coming to the conclusion that I need to get multiple 2x2 units, or 1x4 (WxH) units and double stacking them on their sides. The overall dimensions would increase slightly but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

4. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

5. GaryT

GaryT pfm Member

Or get a 4x4 like I posted a photo of earlier in the thread.

6. I would always recommend using the wall fixings that come included.

7. JobbyIverson

JobbyIverson New Member

Hey guys, you all seem to be very helpful but I have a question of my own, how much do you think the max load is for a 4x4 on the top, I want to get a 2x4 and put it on top of it. I saw that another user had a 1x4 on top of his 4x4 and it was stacked and seemed fine.

The 2x4 is about 34kg total weight and I'll have it on top of the 4x4, which I believe is sturdy but not attached to the wall (because the wall its against is weak, the) because they are both 147cm long one will lay exactly on top of the other and have maximum surface area covering it and not just one heavy concentrated weight point. I've heard of people putting TV's on top of them!

Also, my shelves won't be full of records or anything heavy, what do you guys think?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  8. zippy

zippy pfm Member

" I believe is sturdy but not attached to the wall "

I'd never put up these type of units without attaching to the wall - it's far too easy for accidents to happen.
    If you think the wall isn't strong enough get an expert to put in some long anchors or similar.

9. Mr Cat

Mr Cat pfm Member

mine's full to the rafters with books - and on the top contains my hifi (cairn) - amp, cdp, mono amps, and belkin PF6(?) surge protector...

10. kitemap

kitemap PT1 Xerxes Rock

They don't make them any more but they turn up on eBay : 'Ikea Traby'
    Probably the most solid piece of furniture Ikea have ever made with real wood veneer.
    Do an eBay search.

Edit : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322871349802
    They come in 2x2 and 1x2 and are perfect for records.

11. spikey_w

spikey_w pfm Member

Afraid no one has spotted the real reason why the shelves collapsed. Is obvious when once you see it.

Is because the records are heavy metal :D

12. martinab2

martinab2 Member

I wouldn't worry too much. They are pretty tough. I have had 4 x 2s both ways round and full of records with no problems at all.
    [​IMG]

13. adamk

adamk pfm Member

If still not sure about the weight bearing capabilities of Kallax, then www.tylko.com may be worth a look. Fully configurable for whatever space and made of quality ply - a fair bit pricier than Ikea though.
    No personal experience but it looks decent.

14. wylton

wylton pfm Member

The Kallax range is perfectly safe for storing LP’s. For a start, Ikea supply wall mount brackets, and they should always be used. Even if it’s only on a point of safety, racks carrying this amount of weight should always be secured to the wall.

I recently rehoused of my LPs in Kallax racks.

· 1 off 4 x 4

· 2 off 4 x 2

· 1 off 2 x 2

I fitted two batons to the wall and after installing the racks, I secured them to the batons using the supplied fittings.

I ended up with one of the 4 x 2 units on its side, but it can’t move, because its secured to the wall, has a wall one side, another Kallax on the other side and the horizontal supports have four dowels in each and will support the weight; it’s only a matter of common sense really.

Anyone who puts up one of these racks the wrong way around and doesn’t secure it to the wall is asking for trouble. Not only that, kids have died when heavy shelving units, that were not secured to the wall, fell on them, so don’t do it!

15. Nero

Nero It's unlikely

That's a rather lovely shoebox system there! Nice sub-shelving too.

16. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

The overrider is another Kallax accessory.

17. formbypc

formbypc pfm Member

One more time - the long shelf must go horizontally, not vertically

With a unit this small, though, you may get away with a single piece of 6mm ply fixed to the back, or with squares of the same cut to the same size as each shelf recess, inserted and fixed with angle brackets to the rear.

Besides which, if you don't fit a back to it, the records will just poke out of the back and hit the wall

18. formbypc

formbypc pfm Member

5x5 Expedit in my room, fully loaded with vinyl and no wall fixing. I put a bracket at the top at first, and as the Expedit settled into the carpet, it slowly ripped a hole in the plasterboard.

It's not showing any sign of going anywhere, but I have no pets or juveniles ...

19. jamesd

jamesd pfm Member

I thought this sounded crazy, but googling it, IKEA shows the 4x2 standing vertically.

Oh well. I’ve been using them as record shelves and as my audio rack for many years.

20. Sean K

Sean K pfm Member

Why are they more liable to collapse with the long sections arranged vertically than horizontally? I'm normally good at visualising this sort of thing, but it's not obvious to me.