1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the remastered CD of Wish You Are Here better than the 1980s CD?

Discussion in 'music' started by uncl_nigel, Oct 14, 2017.

1. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

It's all in the title really.

I have had Wish You Were Here on CD since the second half of the 1980s and was wondering if the recent-ish reissue on CD is an improvement or just marketing hype.

Same question could be asked of the other reissues from this decade.

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Short answer: No. Long answer can be found in multiple hundred page threads over on SteveHoffman.tv

If you have an SACD player the fairly recent Analogue Productions dual layer SACD may be worth a punt if you can find one. I have a copy, though haven’t got an early copy to compare it to. FWIW I prefer my Nimbus vinyl to it, but that is a very hard thing to find.

PS The CD collectors go apeshit over is the original (Japanese I think) issue that just has a side one and side two rather than 5 tracks. That one can go for £hundreds!

3. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

Thanks Tony

4. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Crumpets. I can hear crumpets.

The recent reissue is worth buying in the 2-CD form because it has 'Have a Cigar' with Roger Waters singing, 'Wish You Were Here' with Stephane Grappelli on it and the 'Wine Glasses' track from 'Household Objects' which got recycled for the start of 'Shine On...'

5. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

What you need is the Sony Columbia version CK64405.

End of.

6. GJO

GJO pfm Member

I have the black and silver label Japanese version,it is rather good.

7. BJP

BJP Optimistic Utopian

Do you have a link for that please .

8. windhoek

windhoek pfm Member

9. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe pfm Member

I had the SACD. Wasn't impressed with the recording on track 1, but the rest of the album sounded fantastic.

10. BJP

BJP Optimistic Utopian

11. spengenuk

spengenuk pfm Member

I have some 80s Floyd on CD and they are mostly pretty dull sounding. I don’t have WYWH but the latest Saucerful Of Secrets is a huge listening improvement over the 80s version.

12. Zepfan

Zepfan pfm Member

I don’t think there’s a poor digital mastering of this title, although I’ve not heard them all. You won’t go too far wrong with the 2-disc version linked to above.

13. Seeker_UK

Apart from the glitch in 'Set the Controls...' :(

14. Seeker_UK

15. Progmeister

Progmeister The Supernatural Anaesthetist

Not in my opinion.

16. lennyw

lennyw pfm Member

Yes I agree.

I've found all versions I've had to have been excellent. The SACD does sound wonderful (and should still be available [EDIT: Jeez, it's not, and the usual Amazon MPlace prices look painful]).

17. RobFTM

RobFTM pfm Member

I have a 24bit 96kHz rip from the Blu-ray disk that came with the Immersion Box Set. If I recall correctly its 2011 remastered but in Hi Res obviously. This is, I think, pretty good. It is possibly the best sounding music I own but not the best music if you see what I mean.

If you stream let me know ;)

Rob.

18. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

As a confirmed 'Floydie'..... could you elaborate on this please.:)

19. Engels

Engels pfm Member

I too "have a copy" of the stereo FLAC 24bit/96khz from the Immersion box set I believe. Sounds great except there is some distortion on the Minimoog synth notes in the final track fade-out which could well be there on the master I imagine

20. Seeker_UK

Certainly. Other than the 'Shine On' and 'Works' versions of STCFTHOTS, at about the 2:30 mark Rick's organ sound 'jumps' in volume. It sounds like the use of another take dropped in to cover the tiny 'click' on the original version.

The 1992 Norman Smith remasters are the worst for this edit but it's there in all remastered ones that cam after.

It's been ages since I played the vinyl so I'm not sure if the 'click' is present on that or a fault on the master tape that appeared later.