1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

It ain't fusion, it ain't jazz...

Discussion in 'music' started by MUTTY1, Jul 26, 2003.

1. MUTTY1

MUTTY1 Waste of bandwidth

It must be something? Perhaps it is just a pleasure to listen to?

Blissfully ignorant Paul

Ps: seriously no offence - I just like; it as the album it came along with - Trains to Taung.
    PPS : Nu Jazz - Are yu making this up?

Sorry: this should be in the 'Fusion is it Bollocks' thread

2. chiily

chiily PFM Special Builder

As Alexis Sayle once said, 'There's two types of Jazz; Fusion and Trad, and there're both crap!'

I just don't have the will to listen...

Sorry for any offence :) but Mr Sayle has a point in my book!

/me stirs

3. joel

joel mojo working

No offence taken - by me at least. Strokes for folks and all that. Also, that's two less potential punters to bump up demand for the s/h vinyl...

I don't really care about labels. It is the dance music scene that seems to be totally obsessed with labels. That's fine.
    But when words like "talking drums" or even "jazz" are used - and as someone who spends a fair amount of time (and money) listening to the "originals" - it is confusing, as these elements are mostly notable by their absence.
    Some of the dance music is interesting, and I enjoy listening to it. But why why "nu jazz"? I guess it sounds sophisticated or something.

4. lilolee

lilolee pfm Member

Paul

Non taken mate, and I haven't made up the name, it really is Nu Jazz. Do a search on ebay for it and you will be suprised by just how much comes up.

I think it gets its name from the fact that a lot of that style of music comes from DJ mixing up old style Jazz with beats/cuts from modern dancefloor things and synth beats. And hey todays kids could never spell.

Two fine exponents of this style are Jimpster (Jamie O'Dell who also performs live with the Bays) and As One (Kirk DeGorgio).

If you live in or around Lonon check out Co op at Plastic People, 147 Curtain Road 2nd and last Sunday every month, or the forth coming Music and Movement nights yet to be arranged. Both feature FutureJazz and Broken Beatz (their terms)

5. MUTTY1

MUTTY1 Waste of bandwidth

Your reply makes sense - the man that oversaw St Germain is Ludovic Navarre who, according to the bio started French house music. In this particular album [ apparently a big hit] he takes various jazz staples and mixes them with electronics and african beats. Won't listen to it often but a great addition to my catholic collection of music.

Cheers Paul

PS; live in Cornwall so most of my musical experiences are second hand.