1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Japanese Speakers - are there any hidden Gems?

Discussion in 'classic' started by Copperjacket, Jan 31, 2018.

1. jtrade

jtrade pfm Member

2. Moonbuggy

Moonbuggy Active Member

Sony developed the SAS1 active hybrid speakers to go with their prestige Scala mini separates system back in early 90’s, which allowed them to fly well under the radar and could be picked up for a snip. Electrostatic tweeters and motional feedback woofers made for intriguing and truely impressive speakers that worked beautifully with a valve pre.

3. Simon

Simon Skeptic

There are a few Japanese companies that made outrageous speaker systems that were rarely seen outside of Japan. For example, Maxonic, YL Acoustics, Ale, Eltus, Western Labo, Goto...Most were/are interested in the high efficiency and or horn designs for tube equipment. I run a pair of 80's field coil Maxonic mid-high level horns in my tube system to good effect.

Simon

4. Zombie

Zombie pfm Member

Yamaha NS-690...small brother of NS-1000M or Pioneer HPM-70 ditto of HPM-100 - just add a sub

5. Kostas

Kostas pfm Member

The Yamaha NS line is probably the Japanese line of speakers with the most fans worldwide. You can see various models of this line at homes and studios.
    Sony had the SS-M9ED and the SS-AR1 floorstanders, I had read great reviews but at their price not many people would choose a Sony speaker.
    The Tad Reference One is my dream speaker, I heard these speakers once in a HiFi show and luckily not in a typical hotel room but in a conference room the excibitor had rented. I stayed for about an hour and I didn't want to leave... I like many different type of speakers but if I could have one pair of speakers for the rest of my life it would the TADs.

6. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

I'm really intrigued by the monitors Diatone (Mitsubishi) designed for NHK. Some of the designs were in production for 30+ years.

Good luck finding a pair in Europe though.

[​IMG]

7. Hempknight

Hempknight pfm Member

Diatone made some lovely speakers in Japan, as you've said though, not much chance finding them in Europe, although I think other companies used their drivers?

8. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

A friend has a pair of Hitachi 3 ways, made under licence by Wharfedale for the UK market. About a 10" bass driver iirc, box about 2ft tall. They are very good.

9. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

I would love to try a pair of these. Think they look great.

10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’d love to hear a pair of those, I suspect they will be seriously good!

11. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

12. Hempknight

Hempknight pfm Member

I think their great, keeping an eye out for a good condition pair, as mine are a bit worse for wear. What I really want is a pair of their ZERO L-10 speakers to match my amp, but they ar almost non existant in Europe.

[​IMG]

Rug Doc and p147 like this.
  13. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

Do you use a 1010?

14. p147

p147 pfm Member

I enquired about a pair of them when I was putting together a JVC system until I found out that the cheapest one around at the time was 15,000 euros :eek: and had to be collected from Switzerland.

15. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Arkless

I recall that there were some Marantz speakers around 1980 which were "pricey ish by Japanese speaker available in UK" standards at the time, probably about £400 a pair, and had some pretty good reviews before disappearing from radar screens. Paul Messenger liked them at the time in Hi Fi News.... IIRC there was two versions of the model available, one having more furniture like standard of finish and real wood veneers at about half as much again in price but basically the same speaker. HD something or other...probably about 40L ish cabinet size. A few years after that there was another HD something that was popular for a while in the budget speaker category at £100 ish.

16. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

17. calorgas

calorgas pfm Member

18. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

I sometimes wish I could get divorced just so I could own some massive speakers.

19. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Arkless

20. Copperjacket

Copperjacket pfm Member

Big Tannoys work for me