1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Joe Pass, any recommendations ?

Discussion in 'music' started by Cheese, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

Hi all,

I suppose I have now reached the stage where I need some Joe Pass in my collection. Preferably solo, or with a singer like Ella or Frankie. It could also be a boxset if it's really worth it.

There is sooo much stuff available on Amazon, where shall I start ? Thanks.

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Intercontinental on MPS is really good. The Pablo Virtuoso range is good too, here’s Volume One, there are three or four IIRC (I have at least two on vinyl). Ella Fitzgerald’s Take Love Easy is good too, late in her career but she’s still on decent form and Pass accompanies very well, there have been a few fancy audiophile pressings of this one over the years, I just have the original vinyl and it is really good but quite hard to find a properly quiet one.

3. poco a poco

poco a poco pfm Member

4. docstocker

docstocker pfm Member

Live at Montreux 1975

5. docstocker

docstocker pfm Member

I also like 'For Django' with Joe Pass quartet

6. formbypc

formbypc pfm Member

- Northsea Nights w NHO Pederson

- Take Love Easy w Ella, and possibly the follow-up "... Again". There's two or three others which mop up the other tracks from their sessions, but they'd already picked the good stuff for the first two albums

- For Django

- Virtuoso

7. formbypc

formbypc pfm Member

AFAIK, Ella was the only singer he recorded with...