1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

just got Tannoy HPD385a in Academy I lockwood cabinets

Discussion in 'classic' started by Ayya Khema, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Ayya Khema

Ayya Khema pfm Member

Allright, just brought home a pair of HPD385A!!!!

they measure incredibly flat and almost exactly the same so that is a relief!

the surrounds have been changed a month ago from tannoy surrounds. one surprising thing is how un-stiff they are compared to Reds for example.

I will install my new amocom crossover eventually! im sooo happy! they sound amazing!

2. calorgas

calorgas pfm Member

Congrats!

Isn't it lovely when you buy something and you instantly know that it's 'right' :)

3. Ayya Khema

Ayya Khema pfm Member

just installed the amocom XO and found the best placement for L and R speakers.

I have pretty much flat response down to 30hz!

interesting sound really. hard to describe. bass is shocking. tiny bit bright but I dont seem to care, im immersed in sound. pretty happy so far

4. Ayya Khema

Ayya Khema pfm Member

truly live sounding. the bass is incredible, perhaps slightly resonant but the cabinets are stock old lockwood cabs. I will probably build a pair of decent cabs along the way.

the presentation is big, effortless. even hearing someone cough shows how much bass there is.

my measurements of the bass is incredible, I get a ruler flat response from 50hz to 200hz, ruler flat, i cant believe my measurments!!! this is a big relief. I have a slight roll of over 3khz but this is to be expected. I decoupled the speakers with sorbothane hemisphere which really helped. overall, these measure flat from 30hz to 10khz. impressive.

perhaps the sound is bit bright, not as detailed as my SHL5+ or LS50, but my mind dont seem to care, I automatically listen to the music, the soul and the message of the music. maybe its because the sound is coming from a big 15 inch, the sound is so big im automatically drawn to the music rather then analyse anything.

very early reports but so far, these are not going anywhere.

edit: joni mitchell-california is beautiful.

5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Thread needs pictures, obvs.

6. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

Somewhere in Disneyland I can hear Pinocchio's nose growing! :D. Graphs please?

7. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

I feel I must try some Tannoys one day, although are they suitable for Electronica and EDM?

8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Spectacularly so!

9. Darmok

Darmok Child of Tama

EDM = ?

10. ToTo Man

I believe that means Electronic Dance Music.

11. Darmok

Darmok Child of Tama

Oh... :(

I was hoping it was "Extreme Death Metal." :)

Some of the melodies buried amid the cacophony are truly remarkable on some rare masterpieces!

12. Ayya Khema

Ayya Khema pfm Member

heres the monsters
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

measurements incoming

13. Ayya Khema

Ayya Khema pfm Member

right speaker. one line measured from the listening position, the other in near field
    [​IMG]

left speaker. one line measured from the listening position, the other in near field
    [​IMG]

the roll off over 3khz is a bit worse then I thought, but its to be expected I think.

14. Ayya Khema

Ayya Khema pfm Member

the negatives for me and my friends are that the sound is a bit bright, sometime harsh.
    Tony, is that normal?

15. ToTo Man

What level of smoothing has been applied to the graphs?

The near-field plots are not what I expected. Vintage Tannoys usually measure with rising HF. Your near-field HF isn't even flat, it's falling.

Are you sure your near field measurements are at 1 metre distance and perfectly on axis with the tweeter height?

The only other thing I can think of is the possibility that the Amocom crossover is designed to roll-off the treble?

16. ToTo Man

Your graphs don't suggest too much brightness, but measurements don't always tell the full story. Perhaps you are sitting too close and need to angle the tweeters away from your ears?

PS - Different people have different meanings for 'brightness' or 'harshness'. I usually associate 'harshness' with too much energy between 2kHz and 6kHz which gives a very prominent upper midrange. However with Tannoys I usually find the problem area instead to be above 8kHz which gives quite a hot and crispy sound to instruments such as cymbals etc.

17. Ayya Khema

Ayya Khema pfm Member

this was my berkeleys with another pair of hpd385a that measured with the same roll off. the yellow line was the stock XO, green line was amocom.

the only thing I can think is maybe my mics that roll it off? I cant believe two different pair had faulty treble...
    [​IMG]

18. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Turn smoothing down to 1/8 octave

19. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

To my mind 'harsh' isn't the right word, it is far more subtle than that, but there is definitely a 'sound' to Tannoys that can irritate to some degree. What 'Energy' and 'Roll Off' settings are you using for your plots? It also needs to be said that I don't know a lot about HPDs, I've never had the opportunity to directly conpare them to Golds. The discrepancies between your plots seem fairly typical to me, I'd slap *a lot* of money on the table right now if someone could sell me a pair of MGs matched to under 2db right across the frequency range, but sadly such a thing doesn't exist! Got Tannoys? Need a balance control. The end. They will slowly drive you mad, but I have not heard a speaker I like more. I'm on my third pair!

I agree with this. My current solution is 'Energy' flat, 'Roll Off' -1 and my Decca DK30 ribbons quietly filling the now missing extreme top. The 'Roll Off' control is great but too brutal IMO, I wish the steps were about a third what they are. I don't know what the steps are in db, but they feel about 4-5db, the 'Energy' control is far more subtle, but too easy to end up with a recessed mid there. My room, my cabs, my taste and my Deccas and flat and -1 feels right.

20. Ayya Khema

Ayya Khema pfm Member

yeah, tannoy have a sound. harsh or bright isnt the right word and doesnt explain well. i guess id say its the typical horn sound?
    but honestly, live jazz have never sounded more alive and real. its like my brain can recognise the slight coloration, but my mind just listens to whats being played.

im also on my third pair, had 12 inch gold, then 15 inch in berkeley and now this pair :)