1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

just got Tannoy HPD385a in Academy I lockwood cabinets

Discussion in 'classic' started by Ayya Khema, Jul 19, 2017.

1. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

It's interesting that all your plots show falling HF in near-field. If they truly measured like that then I think they would sound very rolled-off in far-field, which is the opposite of what you claim to be hearing. This would indeed make me suspect possible issues with your mic and/or sound card.

All of the Tannoys I have measured all show a rising HF at 1 metre distance. I have measured with both an ECM8000 and UMIK-1 and results of both mics are comparable to within +/- 0.5dB.

PS - The yellow line (stock XO) looks better to me, smoother across the mid frequencies. It's interesting that you prefer Amocom.

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The more I measure the more I fall into the measurements are only any use as the broadest brush tool. I find them utterly useless in this context to be honest as just having the mic a cm high, lower, right, left, up, down or whatever actually shifts the response more than the imperfections one is trying to read. You would not believe how much of my life I have wasted in recent years learning this! The horn on a Tannoy is very directional too, which really doesn't help when measuring. I'd forget nearfield measurement, it is just frustrating bollocks outside of an anechoic chamber.

PS Anyone who doubts this just do a measurement from the listening seat of one speaker, then move the mic 2cm in any direction and do it again! A lot of the things we are inclined to interpret as issues with the compression driver, horn mouth, pair matching or whatever will have shifted by 2 or 3db!

3. Ayya Khema

Ayya Khema pfm Member

yeah, to me I use the mics only for under the modal region to determine the best speaker position in relation to the bass which this is really mandatory. but over 5khz, I think its close to useless

4. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

I agree that mic measurements can vary, but not extremely so in my experience. I find Tannoys to be more susceptible to this than other speakers, presumably due to the dual-concentric design, but I definitely would not expect a mic to turn a rising HF response into a declining HF response with just a few cm's shift in position!

There are steps you can take to minimise the variability. Placement accuracy is critical. Whenever I measure how well matched any two loudspeakers are at 1m I ALWAYS keep the microphone in the same location and instead move the loudspeakers, making sure that they are placed in exactly the same spot as each other (down to a couple of mm's).

If mic measurements were so flaky then room correction software that rely on mic measurements (e.g. Dirac) wouldn't be anywhere near as consistently effective.

However it's also useful to remember that the two most powerful tools at your disposal are your own ears, and it's essential that you trust these above everything else! e.g. a difference of 1dB between 1kHz and 5kHz is likely to be much more audible to the ear than a difference of 2dB between 15kHz and 25kHz!

5. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

That amocom plot looks to be missing any CD (5-6dB/octave boost above 3kHz)compensation on the HF, ie the HF looks like the frequency response of the horn without a crossover so am inclined to think it reflects a maximum energy maximum rolloff xover setting, I'd also check the polarity of the HF judging by that suckout around xover ...

6. Ayya Khema

Ayya Khema pfm Member

oups, the last graph is my previous berkeley which was problematic to say the least
    my actual speaker measurement is at page 1

7. tonymorris

tonymorris New Member

All but the very earliest Amocom XOs have the Roll-Off adjustment feature. This is an exact representation of the Tannoy design with various configurations of the 10R, 20R resistors and the 1.5uF capacitor. Sometimes there is a perception of a little brightness from brand new capacitors compared to ones which are very old of course. The Roll-Off feature is included to allow experimentation with high end treble if this is the case.