1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

JVC AX-Z1010TN - Review (part II)

Discussion in 'classic' started by Dan K, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Hempknight

Hempknight pfm Member

2. grazie

grazie pfm Member

Just because hi-fi made silly prices in its heyday (and still does with the right label), doesn't necessarily make the used lower prices asked for now at all reasonable.

3. salty dog

salty dog pfm Member

Hi Guys,

yes it was me who bought the most recent one on Ebay. :)

Just wondering about the optimum power consumption rating of the transformer I need to buy ? On P5 of this thread a few are mentioned with a minimum of 500Va. The JVC manual notes power consumption at 860W but with the conversion factor of W to Va the latter value will be higher?!

So I'm reckoning (looking at the Airlink stuff) I need at least the 1000Va or even 1500Va transformer.

I also wondered if anyone buying transformers on here had had issues with hum as its more likley the bigger the transformer.

Can anyone offer any clarity please...

Thanks

Dave

4. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

I went for a 1500w transformer but I know some on here went for a 1000w. I thought a little extra headroom wouldn't be a bad thing. No hums here and my mains are pretty poor and have caused hums in other equipment.

5. Hempknight

Hempknight pfm Member

Always better to be over rated imo. Might be also worth giving it the once over, checking for bad caps etc, even if it's NOS, those caps are still pushing 30 ;)

6. salty dog

salty dog pfm Member

Thanks, in that case I thinks its a 1500w for me

Cheers, much appreciated

Dave

7. Taff63

Taff63 pfm Member

As well as the caps it's well worth checking the bias is set correctly too. Mine was NOS but the bias was some way off.

8. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

I bought a 1500w version of this. Not sure I bought from Amazon but it was about £70.

9. salty dog

salty dog pfm Member

Ok I have to admit my ignorance - what is bias and how do you check it?

OTOH I ought to have competent person look it over - I'm near Coventry if anyone has any suggestions...

Thanks

Cheers Dave

10. gassor

gassor "There may be more posts after this."

You'll need to get someone who knows about amps to give it the once over. Had mine (must be 25+ years old) recently checked and everything was just fine, apart from a 2db variation in the channel outputs which is quite hard to hear. The 1010TNs are very fiddly to open up properly BTW. I use the K2 dac and compared to the Auralic Mini dac it is more full blooded and valve like without any lack of bass weight and definition that you often get with valves.

11. jtrade

jtrade pfm Member

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/bias_e.html

12. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

Hi Dave.

I can do the bias for you.

Andrew

13. salty dog

salty dog pfm Member

many thanks for the offer Andrew, where are you based?

Cheers
    Dave

14. flatpopely

I'm in York, but travel a lot.

15. Markyb

Markyb pfm Member

Don't suppose you ever get to sunny Essex at all?

I'm a cheeky sod.

16. flatpopely

Er yes.................

17. salty dog

salty dog pfm Member

Hi Andrew, I've PM'd you
    Thanks
    Dave

18. flatpopely

Will respond.

19. jtrade

jtrade pfm Member

I'd normally have snapped this up in a flash (although it looks like that despite the description there is quite a large scratch on the fascia), but I am very satisfied with my now very well-fettled Z711.

Description translates as :

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/jvc-ax-z1010tn-superdigifine/732536087-172-8159

Lowest price I've ever seen, so it'll likely be gone fast.

Edit : yep, gone in just a few hours...

20. grazie

grazie pfm Member

If Google Translate is correct, I assume ebay-kleinanzeigen.de translates as 'eBay Classifieds'? Which means local/collection only?

I've never been too bothered by a tatty box if what's inside sounds good. However, I know mine would be worth more if the case was in good condition. The CDP from the same seller looks in better nick, although the price isn't quite so competitive.

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/jvc-xl-z1010tn/732533139-172-8159