1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

JVC AX-Z1010TN - Review (part II)

Discussion in 'classic' started by Dan K, Sep 7, 2015.

1. jtrade

jtrade pfm Member

That's still a very good price for an XL-Z1010TN.

ebay-kleinanzeigen is a bit like Gumtree in UK : some sellers are happy to ship (that's how I acquired my Z711, which was sent - very well packed indeed - from somewhere near Berlin to me near Amsterdam.

2. Hempknight

Hempknight pfm Member

Yes, it's about what I paid for mine, plus postage of course. Great CD player for the money imo. And good for those who are intrested in the K2 filter, but are happy with their amp ;)

3. gassor

gassor "There may be more posts after this."

I tried to buy the amp, but it is no longer available. I said if you sell to me I promise Scotland will not beat Germany in the World Cup for the next 13 years, but to no avail.

4. justiceklopper

justiceklopper pfm Member

Could the JVC XP-A1010 'Digital Acoustic Processor' share the same/similar digital circuitry as the AX-Z1010TN?

There is one on ebay for $200.

5. jtrade

jtrade pfm Member

Same quality as it's part of the Titan line series, but no K2 anti-jitter circuit as it was most likely intended to be used with the AX-Z1010TN amp.

Apart from that particular amp, I think the only other units with the K2 circuit were the XL-Z1010TN & XL-Z1050TN CD players (plus some later iterations not in the Titan line range).

Presumably if you own both the amp and one of the K2 equipped CD players, you use the digital out from the CD player, bypassing its K2 circuit to use the K2 circuit in the amp, which seems to make the CD K2 superfluous (as its styling is totally Titan range, so not designed to use with other amps)...

6. Hempknight

Hempknight pfm Member

I've seen the K2 DAT deck a few times, which looks like a well designed beast. I only picked an XL-Z1010TN to expirience that K2 goodness with my other amps ;)

7. jtrade

jtrade pfm Member

And does it taste noticeably good ?

8. Sonci

Sonci pfm Member

9. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

Been a while since I gushed........

TD ‘Force Majeure’ just superb.

The phono stage continues to amaze.

It allows the mixture of synths and real instruments to really be heard.

10. DAVEDWACK

DAVEDWACK pfm Member

I really couldn’t agree more!

I swopped out my Benz Ace for my old Technics epc310, just for a change.
    At the same time using my Lounge Audio Copla into the JVCs mm stage...superb.

After a couple of Lps I removed the Copla and and went directly to the JVCs mc, even more preferable, when I can be bothered the Copla will be sold.

I can think of no better purchase I’ve made in the previous many many years so it’s a big thanks to Gassor for selling me the JVC at a most generous price...Quad Classic integrated anybody?

Cheers....Dave

11. Markyb

Markyb pfm Member

The phono stage is really very good, did you not change something to match better to a Troika? I have a rebuilt Troika from Expert Stylus so not sure if it would be the same after.

12. flatpopely

Yes.

I swapped out the OP Amp for a better one:-
    [​IMG]

And changed the loading resistors to 560Ohm, from 100Ohm.
    This made a very noticeable difference in the treble.

[​IMG]

13. gassor

The K3 dac is unable to process 24 bit audio and these higher bit rates are increasing on Tidal. The new Van Morrison album for example requires me switching to another dac.

14. flatpopely

It can do 24bit. What it can’t do is sampling rates above 48k.

You must be using MQA. In settings unselect allow software decoding.

If you want full MQA then you will need an MQA DAC.

15. gassor

Cheers, I'll give it a go.

16. flatpopely

17. DAVEDWACK

DAVEDWACK pfm Member

Just a quickie...I know the mc phono stage is very good but has anybody tried either a decent head amp or a decent quality sut into the mm stage using their mc cartridge?

I quite fancy trying a sut, but before buying, thought I’d ask here before spending any money.

Cheers....Dave