1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Later with JH

Discussion in 'music' started by gassor, Oct 20, 2017.

1. gassor

gassor "There may be more posts after this."

Last weeks was very good esp St Vincent, this week the only two to keep me out of the beer tent at a festival were RL Boyce and King Krule. Thought the latter in particular was excellent.

2. Chas B

Chas B Active Member

Yes, I thought Boyce was the best thing on there but even that I wouldn't rush to buy. Wolf Alice were disappointing too. I always record this show so that I can FF the stuff I don't like, sadly these days that means most of it...

Regards

Chas.

3. zygote23

zygote23 pfm Member

I rarely watch it anymore but it seems that hairy Steve bloke is always on it!

4. RogerJW

RogerJW pfm Member

Yes - was that Seasick Steve - or just a doppelganger? Strange.

5. scottyhammer

scottyhammer pfm Member

Crap show with crap guests presented by crap presenter !

6. gassor

gassor "There may be more posts after this."

Jools is fine, show format is fine and guests are a good mixture of older and new, but performances are variable as you would imagine. However it does give new faces a chance of national exposure and for that we should be pleased.

I just want you to say what you would do to put out a better show.

PS The opening animation is crap, (reminds me of HIGNFY animation which is also rubbish) and the interviews are a waste of time.

7. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

I have found lots of good music through later, soil and pimp sessions, the XX etc.
    It does have lots of meh bands but some crackers. JH isn’t the best interviewer but who else would fit the bill?

Pete

8. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

Until there’s another live music show, Later won’t have to pull its socks up. But sadly, there is no OGWT etc, so until something better comes along..................
    Is it really live btw? Some of the performances do look mimed/ heavy on the backing tracks
    on occasion. Not sure though.

9. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Richard Thompson on tonight, I’ll be watching that.

OGWT did feature some mimed performances.

10. HairyHaggis

HairyHaggis neither hairy nor a haggis!

Stereophonics - brill. And a 339 as well!, what's not to like? :)

11. Tw99

Tw99 source last

Why the hell after 20million series of the thing can't they give Jools a mic that ****ing works????

12. Dave J

Dave J Übermember

Hiromi was outstanding for me

13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Indeed, a week where Jools was not the best pianist in the room, and by a very substantial distance. It will be interesting to see how the Monk duet thing goes on the extended edition.

14. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Ah! But can she do Boogie Woogie?

I saw the Tuesday show and thought she was great - very odd choice of piece though. Was it truly musical or was it showing off? - the piano equivalent of guitar shredding. Of course we like a good shred from time to time.

15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Her skill is so astonishing I get the impression she could do abslutely anything she wanted to. I agree it is ‘shredding’ to some degree (and I really hate heavy metal guitar posturing) and I have very mixed feelings about the one album of hers I own (Alive). It is staggeringly virtuosic and stylistically right across the map (some borders on prog-rock to my ears) but for me lacks any of the humanity or depth of Oscar Peterson, George Duke, Bill Evans etc. She is an interesting character though and one I really hope matures into something wonderful. Jazz musos can have far longer careers than pop/rock so there is still plenty of time. I’ll be interested to see where she is in 10-20 years...

16. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

Just looked her up on youtube - wowser. A great example /reminder that in jazz and funk EVERY instrument is part of the rhythm section.

17. Dave J

Dave J Übermember

Yep, I agree. It was that that really got me. Yes, massively gifted technically - and I guess I can just about understand why that might turn some off even if they are wrong - but the rhythm was outrageous.

As Tony says, give her 10 years and it’ll be interesting to see how she evolves. I recall seeing Oscar Peterson in his final years after he had had a stroke and he was still amazing. Will Hiromi ever approach his scale? Possibly not but I don’t see too many young Jazz pianists that come close.

18. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

19. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

She was similarly astonishing on an otherwise somewhat dreary Proms ‘Big Band’ night this year. Some of the syncopated rhythmic stuff just defied belief. Shame it is no longer on iPlayer (at least I assume it isn’t) as the look on the faces of some of the other musicians when she pulled something arguably technically impossible out of the bag was just priceless.

I have Hiromi pegged with Steven Bruner/Thundercat (bass) and Anderson.Paak (drums) who are just incomprehensibly talented/gifted/skilled. As good as anyone on their given instrument ever, though for me have yet to release a truly great/classic album. They all have it in them and seem to be getting closer all the time. In fact that would make for a pretty amazing trio!

20. Dave J

Dave J Übermember

Now that’s a terrific idea.