1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Later with JH

Discussion in 'music' started by gassor, Oct 20, 2017.

1. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

Superb rhythm/timing is, for me, what separates the true greats from the also-rans. I think it's often overlooked by amateur musicians. As a (not so good) sax player this stuff blows my mind (a bit technical, but rhythmically amazing):

[YOUTUBE]1ICJUFOJa2g[/YOUTUBE]

This level of musicianship / rhythm / timing makes me feel - rather inadequate :(

2. gassor

gassor "There may be more posts after this."

I too was knocked over by Hiromi, will check her out. Hurrah for the Riff Raff were excellent as well.

3. Chas B

Chas B Active Member

Now I remember why I watch Later'! Hiromi is the sort of act I always hope to see on the show but so rarely do.There is more of her on the show tonight.
    Did anyone spot Binker ( of Binker and Moses) playing for one of the other bands?

4. JD68

JD68 Well-Known Member

Just watched Hiromi. Absolutely amazing.

5. gassor

Those who decry Later should tune in the new music show on BBC. Sounds Like Friday Night is what they have come up with playing mainstream pop.

Warm-up man Stuart Holdham is laying the ground rules for the studio audience at Sounds Like Friday Night, a brand new pop show on BBC One.

So if you want to slag off Jools maybe you should try listening to future episodes of this programme with Liam Gallagher, Demi Lovato, Plan B, London Grammar Loyle Carner and Liam Payne (who tells the BBC he'll "do a song on there that I've not done before") . Sound great!

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I have little issue with Later beyond it, until the above which I’ve not seen, being the only regular live music show on terrestrial TV. I’m happy for it to continue doing its own thing, but feel we also need something for new music the way say The Tube managed in the ‘80s. If this new show takes the mick out of old men then all well and good as long as it provides a platform for the music genres folk under say 25 actually buy. These are people’s formative years, they really shouldn’t be listening to the bloody Stereophonics on Jools yet again!

PS I do know young folk aren’t watching The Stereophonics on Jools. YouTube etc is where it all happens now, but even so there is a gap in the schedule for something new and cutting edge. If for no other reason than letting the rest of us know what is really going on!

7. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

I am not sure many under 25's watch terrestrial TV at least not live, none of mine have watched TV as such since they were early teens. This may prevent a terrestrial company funding a new show.

Bloss

8. JD68

JD68 Well-Known Member

My son stopped watching tv when he was about 8.

9. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

Mine are all over 30 now

Bloss

10. gassor

11. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Thing about Later is, they always (almost) have an old big name or dinosaue on, gets everone excited. But you have to take that alongside new stuff, new artists, interesting world artists and so on. You get to see some amazing talent, and some stuff you think - 'nope, not for me'.

I bet the musicians love being mixed up in the same studio!

12. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

Right on

bloss