1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

'Like' buttons

Discussion in 'off topic' started by lsinclair, Nov 8, 2017.

1. lsinclair

lsinclair file under 'curmudgeonly'

Stabbing bleary-eyed at the wrong bits of the new forum this morning I was shocked and disturbed to land on this page...

[​IMG]

...telling me I was currently among the most notable, most liked pfm members. I can assure you once this error has been rectified I will ensure it never happens again.

There doesn't appear to be a 'dislike' option or even a 'completely indifferent' one. Presumably if you have to make an effort to 'like' something, one of these other two is the default position - but which one?

And what is the function of a list of 'most liked' members? Is there a small prize at the end of each week?

2. Mullardman

Mullardman Resident Philistine

What you really need to focus on is your like:message ratio. Yours is 1779:1 Mine is 19343:1. Therefore you are hugely more popular than me. I am considering my legal position.

3. garyi

garyi leave blank

Good news Mullardman, I just improved your odds.

I hope sincerely that like buttons go away.

Wilson, avole, Mullardman and 2 others like this.
  4. seagull

seagull Seabird flavour member

Just improved your ratio for you Mull.

Wilson, avole and Mullardman like this.
  5. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

Is 5 more a new member?

Bloss

PS: I see other new ones, 17 and 19 more. Must be a very popular name.

Wilson and avole like this.
  6. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

Encourages group thinking, group mentality & a lack of individuality
    Very silly idea.

7. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

You're just worried nobody will like your posts. :D

Wilson, avole, Mullardman and 2 others like this.
  8. Mr Cat

Mr Cat pfm Member

I liked your post so I could unlike it.. :D

9. whatsnext

whatsnext Naimless

I find the ignore option is good and it doesn't directly convey to the Ignored that they are not liked. So you aren't getting at them.

I like everyone else except the owner/admins of other forums who have banned me. So I wont be using the Like option

10. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

Aha !!
    I always assume the worst, it get me through life :)

11. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

Receiving a like on a post complaining about likes
    Now there is a conundrum :)

12. gintonic

gintonic Pussy Lover

how - please post the evidence

13. palindrome

palindrome pfm Member

No. Please don't post the evidence.

(See wot I did there?)

Daren't touch the like buttons, 'case I get electrocuted, or something. . .

14. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 Expert in sheep worrying.

I don’t think it’s intended as a popularity contest, Rather more as a validity of a post. If a given post receives a lot of likes, it really just means that the post/point of view expressed in the post likely carries some weight. Or it migh mean that people find the post amusing, I posted tongue in cheek about it in the “I’m here” thread in the early hours of the morning and that post got four likes by sunrise putting me at the top of the board, I doubt I’ll stay there.:)

Artioneer, Wilson, avole and 2 others like this.
  15. lsinclair

lsinclair file under 'curmudgeonly'

That has the germs of an idea - perhaps the ‘like’ button could be hard-wired to ‘account deletion?’ (Of the liker, not the likee...)

16. Craig B

Craig B Re:trophile

If one bases their feeling of self worth on being liked. one could attempt to achieve more likes by starting a campaign based on a platform as to how they are going to make audio great again #MAGA
    Obviously one doesn't have to do anything to make audio great again, it's just for likes.

17. Mr Cat

Mr Cat pfm Member

yep, there's a lot of posts that don't justify a reply to when I like what has been said... a click on a 'like' button gets around that nicely...

misterdog, orangeart, Wilson and 2 others like this.
  18. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

This is obviously a blatant troll for likes.

Wilson likes this.
  19. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

Not many of you are on Facebook are you??!!

To 'like' is a far simpler way to agree with the post, rather than quoting it and posting that you agree. It has helped on other forums, but the average age has been probably less than here on PFM. :p

20. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

The likes help to prevent “me too” posts clogging up threads, at least in theory.