1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Listen To Neil Young's Forthcoming Hitchhiker Album Here ...

Discussion in 'music' started by jackbarron, Sep 5, 2017.

1. jackbarron

jackbarron Stamford Bridge KGB

Neil Young made an acoustic album with producer David Briggs at Indigo Studios in Malibu. It happened over a couple of days in August 1976. The album is called Hitchhiker and was eventually shelved.

The record is finally coming out later this week. It contains stripped down acoustic versions of Pocahontas, Powderfinger and Ride My Llama, which were eventually recorded with Crazy Horse for Rust Never Sleeps.

There are also two tracks called Hawaii and Give Me Strength which haven't been released yet in any form.

Young says he was "stony" during Hitchhiker and you can hear this in his performances, so he decided to sit on the results. They sound pretty good to me though.

You can listen to the album on the NPR website here.

Jack

2. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

Thanks !

Will have a listen

3. JD68

JD68 Active Member

Thanks for this. It's bloody good, better than I expected.

4. mjw

mjw pfm Member

I enjoyed it. I believe he got himself progressively more 'stony' culminating in American Stars and Bars - widely slated but I love it.
    Thanks, Jack for the link.

5. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

I'm constantly amazed at the brilliant music that streamed out of Neil Young from 66-79. It's just so boggling to me just how much spine chillingly fantastic stuff he wrote and performed in this period and just how varied it was, I sometimes wonder if his epilepsy cleaved some sort of neurological fissure out of which his creativity just poured. I think he's what genius sounds like.

6. Steve B

Steve B Member

Love it.

7. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

Picked this up on vinyl yesterday. It's stunning. Most essential NYA release since Massey Hall.

8. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

Cool, will check it out. Very, very few people can write a 'story' of a song like Neil Young can.

9. MVV

MVV pfm Member

Just got this on vinyl and post to boot the thread back up. I really like it, there is something very authentic and strong about it. I have Massy Hall and understand the attraction but I find it a bit hippy dippy-mawkish so don't play it much.

10. JD68

JD68 Active Member

Listened to this again a few times and it is fantastic. Will definitely get the vinyl but a few places seem to have sold out at the moment.

11. Farthings cat

Farthings cat pfm Member

It's a really strong album and a reasonable price for a Mr Young "new" release
    Gary

12. MichaelC

MichaelC pfm Member

I picked up a copy today, first play, very very good.

13. Nagraboy

Nagraboy pfm Member

Bought the vinyl a couple of days ago. Really good stuff from my favourite period of his music.

14. carruthersesq

carruthersesq pfm Member

My copy arrived yesterday but I have no Cartridge at the moment so can't play it. Also ordered Massey Hall and that is also sat calling my name from the corner of the room!

15. carruthersesq

carruthersesq pfm Member

Well the cartridge situation is resolved so sat listening to both Hitchhiker and Massey Hall, both fabulous.

16. Warszawa

Warszawa pfm Member

Really loving this. Would've been very well received amongst his other albums of the era.

17. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

18. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Gorgeous.

19. MichaelC

MichaelC pfm Member

20. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

^^^ It is, it has the realism and authenticity of my favourite by him; Tonight's the Night.