1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Listening Chair

Discussion in 'audio' started by Dinovector, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Dinovector

Dinovector pfm Member

For those who saw or helped me with thoughts on a speaker suitable for siting against a rear wall may remember we are in the process of looking for a new house. I have decided that I want a house with a listening room/lounge that will allow the listening chair to be placed with space behind it. There seems now to be the possibility that a dedicated listening chair may be a possibility, so I'm wondering what other people plonk their arses on while listening. I was thinking maybe an Eames chair or a G Plan Sixty Two but these are high backed, would these negate the advantage of having the space behind the chair?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Strictly Stereo

Strictly Stereo Trade: Strictly Stereo

Either of these would make great listening chairs. The Eames set is extremely comfortable. I have not tried that particular G Plan model, but it looks similarly inviting. Any sound reflected off the headrest will reach your ears at almost exactly the same time as the direct sound.

Dinovector likes this.
  3. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

Ikea Poang here.

Rob998 and Dinovector like this.
  4. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

I don’t think a chair that comes up behind your head is a good idea. The very very early reflections from it can mess with mid and high frequencies. There is though an argument for some absorption and or diffusion on the wall behind the chair. Easy enough to verify without buying an expensive chair - just hold a big cushion right behind your head.

Yank and Dinovector like this.
  5. Dinovector

Dinovector pfm Member

@darrenyeats I used to have one but as my years are progressing so is my waistline and I worry I might end up on the floor with a broken chair

This was my thoughts exactly, I'm going to a lot of bother to find a house with the right room and then I might go and spoil it all by using the wrong chair. Maybe a le Corbusier chair would be OK?

[​IMG]

6. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

Hmm .. I’ve always thought the Le Corbusier chair to be ugly and very uncomfortable. If you want something designer-y a Mies van der Rohe Barcelona is nice - angled seat and back with a little spring, and not uncomfortable. Matching footrest which also sort of works as a table. Or a Magistretti Maralunga which gives you the option of a high or low back. But also consider that fabric seats might be better than leather acoustically ... and you can get the Maralunga in fabric as well as leather. Won’t leave you any money for hi-fi tho’!

Dinovector likes this.
  7. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

yes , just love the poang . good vfm and comfortable and at tweeter level

Rob998 likes this.
  8. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

I, too, was considering a Barcelona, and may yet go that route. The Eames, despite looking high-backed, actually isn't. What you think might be a headrest is actually no higher than your shoulders, IIRC.

Dinovector likes this.
  9. vln

vln Hail the sulking behemoths!

You remember correctly. There is however a larger version now available:

https://www.vitra.com/en-ch/product/lounge-chair

..and there's a photo of Mrs Eames sitting in one in a matter that does support her head, and that will be the small version, since the large version was only introduced a couple of years ago.

Personally I don't find them very comfortable (I'm 176cm) because my proportions somehow don't seem to agree with them, but I still find them absolutely gorgeous.

I'm using an LC4 with which I am quite happy, however in many (most?) cases this puts the ears below tweeter level.

Dinovector likes this.
  10. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Box-swapper extraordinaire

Whatever you do, don’t buy furniture without taking Tony’s advice (from a lifetime ago):

“Don’t buy furniture without shouting at it first!”

Mr Cat likes this.
  11. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

My preference is for a two or three seater settee, with a deep seat and rakes of cushions that you can adjust to suit. I sometimes have a couple of people listening in.
    Also good for acoustics.

Bloss

12. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

My preference as well, but a 3 or 4 seat sofa instead, about 2 feet away from a wall/bay. Why have one dedicated seat when you can have just as much comfort with adequately supportive but lower backs which can accommodate the odd bake-off/visitors.

I've had these chairs in the past (and still have a wooden collapsible one in my loft) and they're fine. A sofa is more practical, however.

13. Spenagio

Spenagio pfm Member

Had an eames a few years back, purely for looks like the shallow architect I am, but they are far more comfortable that you'd expect. Go for it, I hope to get one again when I have the space...

14. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I have become a huge fan of the humble beanbag as a listening seat. It addresses almost all of an audiophile’s needs; really comfortable, easy to position in exactly the right place for the perfect soundstage, no high back to diffract, and nice and cheap. A huge advantage for all you domestically challenged types with families cluttering up the listening room is it can so easily be flung out of the way when not in use, and not having feet it doesn’t dig into the carpet or mark the floor either. I wish it had occured to me decades ago to be honest. The listening position is a little low, but that improves the vast majority of flat-baffle multi-driver speakers as it better time-aligns the drivers. I find most multi-way speakers sound much better below tweeter axis to be honest.

PS I love the Eames Recliner, just an amazing piece of design and real comfortable. I’d have one myself but I’ve nowhere to put it really.

15. Strictly Stereo

Strictly Stereo Trade: Strictly Stereo

This one is just a little too much like Gordon Gecko's waiting room...

[​IMG]

16. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

As Tony says, bean bag!

Just need to get it past Mrs P!

17. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

Could never get on with the Eames, which is gutting because I love the style. I always end up with a bad back when I sit in one for any length of time, and I've tried the standard and the higher back versions.

Ikea Poang + footstool is absolutely perfect for me, I find it supremely comfortable.

18. Hook

Hook pfm Member

Ekornes Stressless are very nice, but I prefer their competitor, Fjords Hjellegjerde. Have had mine for 15+ years. IME, it’s an extremely comfortable chair with excellent lumbar support. At 6’4”, my head is above the back rest.

[​IMG]

19. hockman

hockman pfm Member

I also prefer to have a sofa for 2 or 3. It's less antisocial and more practical.

BTW I've found that a sofa can have a dramatic effect on the sound quality. I had once moved a different, smaller, sofa into the listening space when my usual one was sent for reupholstering and I got a big surprise. I think it had less to do with the dimensions of the piece than the material the furniture was made from. But there's no way to figure this out before hand unfortunately.

darrenyeats likes this.
  20. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

I lusted after an Eames for years. Eventually got a copy-Eames, & to my massive disappointment found it to be very uncomfortable! Essentially, the recline angle didn't suit me, the back was too short & head-rest meant I was looking at the ceiling! I guess I'm too long in the torso to fit it. I still look at them & love them, but "try-before-you-buy" definitely. They may work better for shorter people?
    I now use a small 2 seater sofa which although isn't a style icon, is very comfy!