1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Listening Chair

Discussion in 'audio' started by Dinovector, Nov 11, 2017.

1. andy831

andy831 pfm Member

I tried a Ekornes Stressless thing and found that did not suit me either so went back to a pair of knackered Ikea leather look tub armchairs

2. Hipper

Hipper pfm Member

I use a cloth covered high back Parker-Knoll type chair. I like the high back because it prevents reflections from the back wall.

3. davidavdavid

davidavdavid EARWAG

[​IMG]
    This is the IKEA Strandmon with matching ottoman. The chair has wonderful back support, and is quite sturdy and comfortable. At 6' 5" (1.96m) tall I can attest that the chair and ottoman do the job nicely. Yes, it comes in different colors and patterns. Yes, it is IKEA, but is rather affordable and replacing one or simply buying one as a spare :) is rather straightforward.

4. Jono_13

Jono_13 Duffer

I have one of these beauties...

[​IMG]

Swedese Lamino. Supremely comfortable and narrows to almost head width at the top..

5. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

Made.com do a giant man sized bean bag.

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Pretty sure my beanbag is one of these in a fetching 1970s brown. I really like it.

Dinovector likes this.
  7. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

Good size!

8. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Box-swapper extraordinaire

My armchair beats all previous attempts at a comfy chair (including the Stressless thing, that gave me neck ache).

Excuse the slight mess.

[​IMG][/url]

9. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

What about the Le Corbusier "Chaise Longue"? It has the advantage that you can adjust the inclination of the whole thing from sitting up to lying horizontal, or with your feet higher than your head. Which is great for the lower back, incidentally. The disadvantage is that it has no arm rests.

10. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Er, where?

Mr Cat likes this.
  11. Dinovector

Dinovector pfm Member

That's a decent size, I like it

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It really is very comfortable indeed. One has to learn how to get out of it, and it may not be possible to do with much dignity. I kind of roll out to the side and get up from the floor rather than a single-step. I wish I’d thought of beanbags decades ago as I have had some pretty bad listening seats over the years.

13. Jono_13

Jono_13 Duffer

14. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Box-swapper extraordinaire

I blame my father, who was in the merchant navy, where anything less than perfectly tidy is a mess. It’s rubbed off on me, at least in the assessment, if not the execution!

15. seagull

seagull Seabird flavour member

I have both a Stressless and an Eames copy.

I much prefer the Stressless. They come in many shapes and mine came in three widths to suit different girths. I spent several hours in the he shop trying the various models before plumping for mine.

I can see the attractions of big bean bags,y kids both have one but I find it increasingly difficult to get up from one.

My daughter also has a "snuggle" seat which she loves. That has a low back.

16. gintonic

gintonic Pussy Lover

I bought into the Eames thing years ago - and ended up selling it as I found it to be terribly uncomfortable. In the end we ended up with a 3 seater reclining sofa.

17. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Blimey. Well, if that's what your lounge generally looks like I don't think that you have anything to worry about. My place is generally pretty tidy and I keep it clean, but I try to keep it in perspective. Every so often I visit friends who haven't seen the carpet for a couple of years. One time I was round there in February and there was screwed-up Christmas paper tossed on the floor in the lounge. I have another friend who has a houseful of hifi. When I say houseful, I mean a house that is full. There are rooms you can't get in. Last I heard he had 20-something CD players. I sell stuff for him periodically (see Classifieds right now) but fundamentally he wants to keep it all. His latest project is to build a kilowatt-a-channel home cinema in something like a 7.1 or 9.2 format. He has all the gear, he just can't get in the relevant room.

lAmBoY likes this.
  18. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

third vote for the poang. Light, very comfy, comes in all colours to suit, and has just the right balance between supporting you, relaxing you and not obstructing music signals. Oh, and money you'll save over ghastly leather recliners (unless you are, in fact, a russian oligarch?) will allow you to buy 100 new albums. :)

19. Theo

Theo pfm Member

I have both the Eames and a Corbusier Chaise Longue. With the Eames, it helps to be a short arse: I find it both very comfortable and practical. The Corbusier places me well below tweeter height, so the perspective is sometimes odd; however, it's a great chair to fall asleep in while listening to something non-challenging...

20. igor_xxxx

igor_xxxx pfm Member

I never thought of this solution, until reading your example.A bean bag will be a perfect solution for my low and extreme nearfield listening position... time to do some research and find some suitable (wife approved) designs.

Just the part about getting out without dignity doesn't help my case :)