1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

(Long, scathing) Article on Spotify

Discussion in 'music' started by farfromthesun, Jan 9, 2018.

1. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

irb likes this.
  2. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

I read this recently. I have, but don't use Spotify, and mainly go to Bandcamp to discover new music. I pay for it and download it, never use playlists, and use Qobuz to stream oddities I don't already have.
    The idea of playlists over which artists have no control is horrendous.

3. formbypc

formbypc pfm Member

Summat wrong with de link

4. Matty297

Matty297 Member

Link works for me!
    Have moved from Spotify to Tidal but do miss Discover Weekly. If Spotify went lossless I would move back tomorrow.

5. venton

venton pfm Member

If it wasn't for cheap streaming services the kids would just steal the music. I think musicians have to accept that the days of personal jets and limousines are over. Just a low to medium income if you are lucky.

6. wylton

wylton pfm Member

Try telling Ed Sheeran that; his net worth was $65 million at the last count. You're dreaming if you think that there are not loads of people making a whole bunch of money out of the music scene.

7. JD68

JD68 pfm Member

Good read that. I use Deezer for discovering new music and try before you buy listening, mainly just through brand loyalty.

I used to use Spotify but don't like the interface. Will definitely think twice before using it again. What she doesn't mention there is the scandal a while back of them using their own music in playlists to avoid paying royalties to anyone else.

8. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

I have yet to try Tidal, but for my purposes Qobuz and, to a lesser extent, Spotify have too much catalogue missing to make them a true alternative to curating your own music collection.

9. formbypc

formbypc pfm Member

Why is it any different from creating a playlist on your own device, or hopping from one disc to another manually?

10. hockman

hockman pfm Member

11. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

It's that brands are creating playlists as if they were regular users (and these are being pushed by Spotify). So the question is, how is Starbucks putting a band on its playlist different from Starbucks paying a band to use its song for for an advert? And the answer is, it isn't - except that the band doesn't get a choice in the matter and doesn't get paid. "Automated selling out," the author calls it. Good article.

Still likes this.
  12. Bananahead

Bananahead pfm Member

Or simply listening to a radio station.

13. awkwardbydesign

'Nuff said.

14. awkwardbydesign

My music collection is CD (ripped or not), LP, and bought downloads (mainly Bandcamp at the moment, but some jazz or classical from other sources). Qobuz is for fun. So basically I am in agreement with you. (Shock horror! :D)

15. formbypc

formbypc pfm Member

... is it any different from Starbucks, Costa or whoever playing a music selection on random shuffle in-store, except the artist gets paid a minimal amount, non-specific to them, through licencing for public playing of music?

They still get no control over when they get played. And, as was said above, artists have no control over radio stations. How would Steeleye Span feel, for instance, about being sandwiched between The Damned and The Dictators on Peel in 1997?

16. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

I think they would be pretty damned stoked. But I can’t imagine Peel playing The Dictators in 1997.

17. formbypc

formbypc pfm Member

Sorry, 1977. And it may not have been The Dictators for certain (have to check the tape), but Steeleye Span and The Damned were definitely side-by-side.

18. irb

irb Member

19. Dave***t

Dave***t pfm Member

The scales are tipped massively towards the top. Ed Sheeran is one of the current behemoths of the industry. Taylor Swift is doing fine too. But for artists at the other end, there's nothing like the money there used to be. Physical format sales are a fraction of what they used to be, and aren't compensated for by the money Spotify plays etc generate unless you're big enough for it to hardly matter.

20. awkwardbydesign

I read that, and whole I agree with his conclusions (broadly), his Amazon figures look totally cockeyed. As far as I can see they don't take 50% of the sale price, or anywhere near. A pity, as it weakens his whole argument, and makes one question all his other figures.