1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

LP12: Valhalla v Valhalla + Cirkus Sound Differences

Discussion in 'audio' started by usedandgood, Nov 25, 2012.

1. usedandgood

usedandgood Well-Known Member

After entering the Vinyl world again after a long absence.

What do people think are the differences in sound between Valhalla & Valhalla & Cirkus decks?

2. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

Cirkus brings clarity, detail and tightens up the bass bloom the LP12 is famous for.

Some prefer pre Cirkus, particularly the late black liner bearing.

Might be better to do the PSU first, Lingo is nice and more accurate with the speed which is kinda important.

3. TheDecameron

TheDecameron You're home early...

I have a cirkus and a pre cirkus lp12. I actually prefer the pre cirkus sound. The Valhalla went futt so I use a hercules and like the 33/45 it provides.

4. Clay B

Clay B pfm Member

Gaius sums it up nicely although I wouldn't be too retentive about the black liner bearing. Of the power supplies, Lingo II, Naim Armageddon, and latest Linn Radikal are good choices. You also have other third party choices more common on your side of the pond.

5. Spike

Spike pfm Member

Armageddon is pants, relies too much on the vagaries of the mains supply

6. Clay B

Clay B pfm Member

Funny Spike, I've been following this website and one other regularly for over a decade. Over that time I've probably read over a hundred compliments on the Armageddon perhaps twice that number. I will simply say yours is the first such comment I have read.

By the way, my LP-12 is connected to a Lingo I so I hardly have a bias.

7. John R

John R pfm Member

Funny thing is - they all rely on mains; unless wind up..

To use Ivor T's analogy Ri-Ro. Heard Lingo' 1&2 and Mose hercs prefer Armageddon myself.

8. Spike

Spike pfm Member

Probably because your using a compromised sub-chasis :rolleyes:

9. John R

John R pfm Member

Heh he. Indeed!

10. Spike

Spike pfm Member

Maybe two wrongs make a right:D

Joking apart, the Mark VI looks cool, sure it sounds good. If I didn't have a Keel I would have it on my list.

11. Dowser

Dowser Learning to bodge again..

I took a different route to fixing one-note bass and fitted a Sole. If a Cirkus kit came up cheap I'd be tempted to try it on my '77 lp12, but am completely happy with it as is. So to the OP, are you only going to look at PSU & beAring, or expand to mods elsewhere? Sub chassis is big bang for buck, and I prefer (DIY) geddon over both basik & Valhalla supplies on my deck.

Richard

12. htm_1968

htm_1968 pfm Member

B*ll*cks!

I ran a NAPSA for the best part of a decade. It saw off all comers including the Lingo 1 and 2 on musicality grounds. My dealers checked it after each move to ensure accuracy, it never missed a beat.

I ran the NAPSA in Ireland, the UK and Australia without issue in the presence of some of the crappiest mains supplies you could ever hope to experience.

I run a Radikal now, which replaced the NAPSA after the move back to the UK. Seriously expensive for what it does, but miles ahead of the NAPSA or any competitor for the LP12.

13. MVV

MVV pfm Member

I got a good deal on the Lingo 2 and so did it moving from a pink link (which I preferred to the Lingo 1) I expected at best nothing much as I did it because the Link had stopped working on 45. However it was the biggest upgrade I'd done to my LP12 including Ekos, Mana, Circus, Akiva. I was genuinely shocked!

14. htm_1968

htm_1968 pfm Member

On topic:

My deck started out life as a pre-cirkus LP12. All that remains now is the top plate and cross brace. We fit a Cirkus way back in the dim and distant past when it was first released. Later the Valhalla was replaced with a NAPSA. I had a huge job done on the deck a couple of years ago. We replaced the warped plinth fit a keel/a and decided to replace the cirkus while at it. The difference was huge (probably due to the keel). Soon after we traded the NAPSA in and bought a Radikal. My recollection of the impact of the Cirkus is that it added focus to the music, I really can't describe this well, but it is like zooming in a little with a camera and getting some finer detail, without altering/spoiling the composition of the picture.

15. guey

guey pfm Member

That was certainly my impression after I'd had the Cirkus fitted.

16. Spike

Spike pfm Member

"B*ll*cks!

I ran a NAPSA for the best part of a decade. It saw off all comers including the Lingo 1 and 2 on musicality grounds. My dealers checked it after each move to ensure accuracy, it never missed a beat."

Well with such a balanced arguement I'm sure one transformer, a couple of transitors and capacitors makes a perfect power supply.

17. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

The Armageddon is simpler than that. It does not have transistors.

18. htm_1968

htm_1968 pfm Member

Spike old chap, I wouldn't know what bits were in the old NAPSA nor what each bit did. I was simply responding to your very well framed posting earlier in the thread. FWIW I couldn't care less what is in the case or what the case looks like as long as it sounds as good as possible for the £££ asked for it.

FWIW, I've had a Valhalla, a NAPSA and dealings with a Lingo 1 and 2 and Mose. The NAPSA trounced them. The Pink Link battery thingo was very good though. Lingo 3 is OK but leagues behind the Radikal

19. Spike

Spike pfm Member

Whatever!
    I'm so sorry that I've dared to criticise a piece of equipment that you owned by referring to it as pants.

20. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

Folks, is it worth installing a Cirkus sub-chassis under a black liner bearing, and leaving everything else pre-Cirkus? I've got the impression from some sources that there isn't that much difference between a 1990 bearing and the Cirkus, and its the sub-chassis that cleans up the sound? Is that right?