1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

LPs with Hi-Fi on the cover

Discussion in 'music' started by Mick Seymour, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Mick Seymour

Mick Seymour Member

Me and the system have survived the storm. I was looking at a bit of kit on the back of an album and thought: This will make a (good) thread.

Here are a couple for starters, one of which is on the TT as I write.

Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood - SME Series II on back of sleeve.
    Art of Noise - Below the Waste - B&W Emphasis on the front of sleeve. I saw a pair of these in an emporium in Singapore a few years ago. Very pretty.

Mick

2. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Donald Fagen - Nightfly

Bob

3. duncan

duncan ...

What a splendidly geeky thread!

The Jetstar compliation series used to feature (and credit) a Mitchell Gyrodeck up to vol 5. Sadly from vol 6 the cover underwent a naff redesign featuring a sprinkling of, you've guessed it, CDs...

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Morcheeba's Big Calm has a Transcriptors Hydraulic Ref with Vestigial arm and what looks like a Rotel reciever on the front.

Tony.

5. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

I think it's Billy Taylor or Cecil Taylor, it has a proper US style 50s amp on the cover, possibly other bits. One of you experts in jazz must know the album.

Paul

6. Chris Marshall

Chris Marshall pfm Member

Hi

Linkin Park - hybrid theory

Linn axis

cheers

Chris

7. Chris Marshall

Chris Marshall pfm Member

Hi

Linkin Park - hybrid theory

Linn axis

cheers

Chris

8. domfjbrown

domfjbrown pfm Member

Aha - but Morcheeba ripped off Ray Connif (what the HELL is HIS system - check out the size - it's a gatefold sleeve and the damn radiogram goes right the way across - you're only looking at about 2/5 the length of the thing:

9. domfjbrown

domfjbrown pfm Member

Note I didn't buy the Ray Conniff for the music - my mate Ali didn't believe me when I told her Morcheeba'd ripped their album cover off of someone else (I stumbled over the Ray Conniff in MVE for a ridiculous £15 and even I, as a Gemini, won't pay that much to win a bet - I got my copy for a quid in Oxfam instead!).

Whale's "We care" 12 inch has a tape on the cover...

Neil's heavy concept album (yes - THAT Neil - oh heavy man don't bring me down and hassle me Neil) has a ghettoblaster on the front - which has a timer and record level on it so almost counts as hifi :)

Nuisance - Menswe@r - B&O TV on the cover
    Stone Roses remixes - Technics paint-spattered 1210 on cover

I'm sure there's a CD I've seen that has one of those B&W horn speakers - not the Nautilus ones but the other type - but I can't remember what it's called.

10. RJohan

RJohan pfm Member

Ok, not a picture, but Nazareth:s Sound Elixir has a text that goes something like: "Linn and Naim sound system supplied by xxx". xxx I think was the then (still?) Canadian importer.

JohanR

11. RJohan

RJohan pfm Member

On Dave Brubeck:s "A Cut Above" on Sheffield Lab, the artist is running around on a stamper disc (I think it's called that, it's the 'negative' disc that is cast from the master, the grooves are hills) with a special Stanton cart, designed to actually play this negative disc, hovering above him!

JohanR

12. Mick Seymour

Mick Seymour Member

Art of Noise - Below the Waste - B&W Emphasis

Now the thread's gone full circle.

Mick

13. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

Does this count?

[​IMG]

Paul

14. Simon Dawson

Simon Dawson Angry, Ill & Ugly

Funki Porcini "Fast Asleep"
    Verve // remixed (and very good it is too)

Simon