1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Magic band Farewell Tour

Discussion in 'music' started by wylton, Nov 8, 2017.

1. wylton

wylton pfm Member

2. billo

billo pfm Member

I did not know it was the farewell tour but it does explain why it was sold out in Liverpool 4 weeks ago when I tried to get a ticket. I have seen them twice before and they are good value, I also have a recording of one of their first outings in the UK when they played Camber Sands and Radio 3 covered it.

3. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

So it's just John French and no other original Magic Band members?

4. wylton

wylton pfm Member

Well, it started out as John French with ex Magic Band Members, but they have fallen by the wayside. The thing is though, that John French gives such good value for your money and his rendition of Vliet's vocals are so authentic! I've seen them twice and really enjoyed both gigs. Also, in the smaller venues, he is happy to converse with the punters in the intermission; John French was one of the most important members of the original band and was singularly responsible for translating Beefheart's ideas into reality.

5. jackbarron

jackbarron Stamford Bridge KGB

Went to what I thought was their farewell tour a couple of years ago. Seen them twice at The Scala in London and they were great.

Jack

6. billo

billo pfm Member

7. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

Watched them on Tuesday night at The Cluny in Newcastle. The show looked a full sell-out, much busier than the last two tours. It was a shame Rockette Morton wasn't able to make the tour, I know he has had health issues. He is some player bass though. Drumbo was his usual brilliant self. He wasn't happy with the sound at times - apparently they had time issues on their soundcheck. The bass / vocals were lost in the mix at times and John restarted a few tracks after changes were made by the Sound Engineer. Still, it was much better than most bands I have seen. John says it is difficult to make it pay / be viable. It's a pity we will probably not see them tour again. They are well worth watching if you can see them.

8. wylton

wylton pfm Member

It's a shame isn't it? This music needs to be played, same as the Zappa music and the family feud. We're never going to see/hear this stuff played unless people like John French and Dweezil Zappa get it out there!

9. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Can you give an idea what songs were on the set list?

10. andrew

andrew pfm Member

Jolly good at Leeds last night - also with sound issues!

11. darkstarcrashes

darkstarcrashes Active Member