1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Markus Sauer RIP.

Discussion in 'reference' started by merlin, Dec 15, 2015.

1. MichaelC

MichaelC pfm Member

2. topoxforddoc

topoxforddoc pfm Member

Really sorry to hear this news, particularly as we approach Christmas. My thoughts are with his family and friends. RIP

3. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

So sad. Only knew Markus via his on line presence here but he was clearly a lovely guy. RIP.

4. SCIDB

SCIDB Triode Man

Hi,

I have just heard the sad news. My sincere condolences to his family.

I met Markus at a bake off at at Michael's place in 2006. A fine chap. He will be sadly missed.

Dean

5. Oakwood

Oakwood pfm Member

Desperately sad news. RIP.

6. DNM

DNM pfm Member

You would never have known this from his postings here. He sought advice as much as he offered it, but offered it in such an unassuming and helpful way. A true Gentleman. RIP

7. HiFiWigWam

HiFiWigWam pfm Member

Markus was a gentleman and an absolute credit to this forum.

Rest in peace big man. You will be well remembered by many. Few can lay such claim.

8. rbrown

rbrown I think therefore I think I am

My condolences too to Markus' family and friends. Sadly I never had the privilege of meeting him in person but he came across as a very genuine and helpful guy. His postings and gentle and fair moderation will be missed by all of us.

RIP

Rich

9. hockman

hockman pfm Member

Oh dear god, no. I had no inking of his illness.

RIP Markus. I will miss you very much on PFM.

10. Wilson

Wilson _

Well said, DNM. All I can do is echo your sentiments.

11. NeilR

NeilR pfm Member

Very sad news. I met him once, he was a really good guy. Sincere condolences to his family.

He will be sorely missed.

12. Bradders

Bradders The Pork Chop Express

I'm very sad to hear the news of Markus passing. His presence on pfm was a big part of the personality of this place. His posts were interesting and he always seemed to be a real gentleman. Clearly a very open minded, humble and wise chap. I will miss him.

13. deanf

deanf pfm Member

My only experiences were virtual. As everyone is saying, Markus came across as level headed and fair; his posts were worth reading and he will be greatly missed.

Sincere condolences to family, his very many friends and everyone concerned.

R.I.P. Markus.

14. bownose

bownose pfm Member

This is very sad news indeed, I have sat with the news for a couple of days and still cannot come to terms with the actuality of the fact he is gone. He showed me a lot of kindness a couple of years ago when I was in a bad way mentally and offered me to just get on a plane and visit.

Met him a few times and liked his company a lot.

My most recent dealing was to help him sell his hypex ncores he lent to me and was genuinely interested in what I thought of them (I liked them, but I like most hifi). I parcelled them up and sent them to their new owner and he sent me a small note to say they had arrived safely and a thank you. That was my last communication a week or so before he died.

I'll miss him, always levelheaded and thus a good moderator and such a dry humour. This is not a good end to the year.

15. Spike

Spike pfm Member

Agree with everything said so far. A true gentleman and scholar.

16. Alex S

Alex S pfm Member

A lovely man, sadly missed.

17. ssimon

ssimon pfm Member

A beacon of good sense has gone out.

18. Wilky

Wilky pfm Member

What sad news to read about such a genuine, thoughtful and intelligent man.

Reading through all the posts show how he touched all our lives, both online and for those lucky enough to be close friends.

Along with Cliff, he will be remembered as a true gentleman.

Rest in peace Markus.

19. mmaatt

mmaatt pfm Member

Very saddened to hear this.

mat

20. jackbarron

jackbarron Stamford Bridge KGB

I never met Markus, but saw some of his posts and understand from what others have said he was a very balanced moderator.

I had no idea that Markus did audio reviews for publications like Stereophile. His knowledge and friendly approach is obviously going to be missed by a lot of people on pfm. RIP Markus.

Jack