1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Markus Sauer RIP.

Discussion in 'reference' started by merlin, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

As many have noted, Markus contributed immeasurably to this forum, both in content and tone. His absence leaves a void impossible to fill but I would like to think his heart would be warmed to see our appreciation and the sincere condolences offered to his family and friends.

We will be posting a link to a JustGiving site soon, for anyone wanting to contribute to a charity in his memory.

I go numb just typing this. Earlier this week, Markus and I were swapping messages.

Tony, lordsummit, Jo Sharp and Joe

2. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

Nice words, Dr P. x

3. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 Expert in sheep worrying.

A very kind thought.

4. merlin

merlin pfm Member

Joe et al.

I passed on everyone's sentiments to Heike this morning.

I'm thinking of throwing an open house (I've only a small flat but all are welcome) on the first Saturday of January in Marcus' memory. A chance to meet up face to face, exchange stories and listen to some good music on the JBL's.

I think the big man would have enjoyed such a get together. As I say, all are welcome.

M.

5. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Merlin,

I wish I could make it. We're it not for that pesky pond betwixt us...

Joe

6. Robert

Robert Tapehead

This is terrible news.

I made a brief comment of condolence on Joe P's Facebook wall a couple of days ago but hadn't actually realised that he was referring to our very own Markus, because I had no idea he was so gravely unwell.

As others have said, Markus was a credit to the forum and part of the family here. I had some dealings with him earlier this year when I serviced his amplifiers, and he was an absolute gent.

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I've put up a JustGiving page for donations to Cancer Research here: https://www.justgiving.com/pfm-MarkusSauer I'll add a permanent sticky in the charity room at a later point once I know all is ok.

PS I've pinched Ian's rather excellent portrait.

8. A reflective time. My thoughts and most sincere condolences to Markus Sauer's wife and family in this time of terrible loss. Such little progress in surveillance, early diagnosis and treatment of pancreatic cancer. A devastating disease. Much more focused multidisciplinary research effort and funding needed. Stewart

9. neil

neil Wish I could re member

Very sad news. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

10. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

I never met Markus, but whenever I saw his name above a post on this forum, I knew I would read a thoughtful and interesting comment. That Stereophile piece linked to by Tony explains why, and now I've read it, I can't help thinking he nailed it, absolutely.

He was certainly high among the list of contributors here who I would have liked to meet, and whose company I suspect I would have enjoyed very much. Despite never having met him, I am saddened now that this will never happen. I say that from my experience of his posts here, and from the comments on this thread. My condolences to his family and friends.

11. RustyB

RustyB Registered Ginga

Not a great week; on Monday I learned that an old and dear friend had passed away, and now this.

Never had the pleasure of meeting Markus in person, but I respected his knowledge, insight, and good humour.

RIP Markus; you will be sorely missed here.

12. Bob Surgeoner

Bob Surgeoner Trade: Neat Acoustics

I've just seen this and am very saddened indeed by this news. Markus was a real gentleman.

13. Darren555

Darren555 pfm Member

Such sad news. My sincere condolences to his family.

Darren

14. Rob400

Rob400 pfm Member

I bet some cables from Markus. Very nice guy to deal with. Sad news. Died too young!

15. Durmbo

Durmbo Not French

A terrible shock. Markus always struck me as knowledgeable, thoughtful, and humorous. He welcomed me after my first post.

My condolences to to his family and friends. An awful blight on the season for them in particular.

16. omers

omers pfm Member

R.I.P dear Markus.

17. darkmatter

darkmatter pfm Member

RIP Markus
    Sincere condolences to all his family and friends

18. merlin

merlin pfm Member

Just raising a glass to Markus, his family, and the other PFM members who sadly didn't make it to the end of the year.

May we all meet back here this time next year.

19. wirbeltier

wirbeltier pfm Member

Rest well dear Marcus. And thank you.

20. Dik Dolan

Dik Dolan pfm Member

I'll drink to that.
    To absent friends and lost loved ones.
    RIP Marcus