1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Discussion in 'audio' started by ti33er, Sep 12, 2017.

1. MartinC246

MartinC246 Member

John, thanks for the quick reply. I'm sorry I didn't come back straight away but I couldn't get my head round your reply.

Are you saying that MDAC2 will only be available in the basic twin ESS9028Pro version with optional streamer, or will it be available with discrete & DDA versions but without the best analogue stages which will have to wait for FDAC?

Martin

2. JohnW

JohnW Trade: Lakewest

Hi Michael,

OK noted - Thank you.

3. JohnW

JohnW Trade: Lakewest

Martin,

The MDAC2 is available in 3 variants - the streamer is compatible with all 3.

The streamer is an OPTION on the basic MDAC2 (Dual ESS9028PRO) and is required for the MDAC2 Discrete & MDAC2 DD2A

4. mattgbell

mattgbell canis pictus

Does "required" (above) mean the streamer is INCLUDED IN the MDAC2 Discrete & MDAC2 DD2A, or does it have to be purchased as an extra. And if the latter, who fits it?
    Thanks,
    Matt

5. timola

timola pfm Member

As far as I understand it. You need an existing MDAC chassis. You then fit the new MDAC2 and Streamer boards yourself. I believe the firmware and software will be preloaded. You'll need a small torx set to open the MDAC chasis. I'm sure John will provide full instructions....and I'm sure others will post a photo-story of the procedure (Misterdog..maybe??).
    You will need to buy the Streamer Board for options 2 and 3 it is not included in the price projections previously quoted.

6. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Box-swapper extraordinaire

AFAIUI, you first need to believe in Christmas.

7. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

? ? IHTLTUOTI.

8. Rosewind

Rosewind Lost in Translation

Whaleblue and misterdog: IHNIWYAWA (I have no idea what you are writing about). Is there a course in lost acronyms and daft abbreviations I could take?

9. BrianPK

BrianPK pfm Member

I think misterdog is only teasing.;)

Now observe a true wordsmith in action.

10. sam_cat

sam_cat ʇɐɔ_ɯɐs

AFAIUI = As Far As I Understand It

IHTLTUOTI = I Had To Learn To Underestimate Our Total Idiots

https://www.urbandictionary.com/

11. adamdea

adamdea pfm Member

BUT WAIT cf the following

So as usual I find myself utterly confused. Can someone help here. Which version of the mdac2 is supposed to be ready by Christmas? Is it the new DDA or the original one. John orginally seemed to say the third option (renamed DDA). I pointed out that this seemed a bit odd, being the new design.

Now it seemed that the DDA is being reserved for the Fdac- what does this mean? I appreciate that I may be foolish but it does not seem to make sense. Granted, I have been on the naughty step for some time as a result of repeated thought crimes, but I would have thought that this concerned everyone

12. s1h1

s1h1 performing within expectations

What is DDA (and DD2A) an acronym for?

13. adamdea

adamdea pfm Member

I don't know, but one could be forgiven for thinking "Due December Always"

14. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

IHTLTUOTI

I Had To Look That Up On The Internet.

15. JTC

JTC Saint Alphonso!

...you are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike...

Still lost I am.

16. fusion5

fusion5 on the dark side of hifi...

Adam,

AFAIK the DDA (Direct Digital Analogue) allows for "fast" (I know :rolleyes:) production because it doesn't require the HQ PSU and misses some of the rather complex features like the slave interface.

DDA is not reserved for FDAC, only the combination of DDA output stage and discrete DAC will be.

s1h1 and adamdea like this.
  17. adamdea

adamdea pfm Member

Thanks. I think I follow. Ok, well one can dare to hope. Any idea where the state of board design is for this product?

18. Rune

Rune pfm Member

What John said was that DDA + discrete DAC in the same DAC was reserved for FDAC.

Not confusing at all:)

19. adamdea

adamdea pfm Member

Not for people able to read in the missing words in square brackets and intuit the singular verb, no.

20. timola

timola pfm Member

That makes sense as John also said there will only be one FDAC.