1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Melanie de Biasio

Discussion in 'music' started by Vinny, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Probably already a cult following here, but I have just discovered her. If this thread spurs a few others to do likewise, great.

Check her out - she reminds me of Melody Gardot, somewhat. Seriously, seriously mellow jazz. DO NOT let the jazz label put you off....

2. James Evans

James Evans Bedroom Bodger

Yes, really like her. Blackened cities is a great way to spend 25 minutes of your time.

3. daytona600

daytona600 Registered User

4. shrink

shrink pfm Member

Yes she is good. And I'm a fan of Melody Gardot too but she's not in the league of artistry and talent that Ms Biasio displays

5. I would love to see Melody Gardot do a live show or even a album with fink.
    Having my producers head on.
    I think they would work really well together and produce something quite special.

6. 1964meb

1964meb pfm Member

I have a Melanie de basio album and really like it.

As I don't know melody gardot should I start please?

Mike

7. shrink

shrink pfm Member

I'd Skip melody gardot and proceed directly to Madelaine Peyroux. Same idea but better in every respect. Gardot is a tad "poppy" with her approach to jazz vocal. Ok in small doses but ultimately a tad shallow.

8. najb

najb pfm Member

Heard a Melanie di Biasio track ('With Love') from the album 'No Deal' at a recent Naim visit. Even through the NDS it sounded pretty good. On vinyl, worth seeking out, it is fantastic.

9. 1964meb

1964meb pfm Member

Thanks for that.

What Madeline Peyroux album would you recommend please?

M

10. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

I agree with that. 1964, try these.

I have this by Madeline Peyroux which I like:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Half-Perfe...=1502609368&sr=8-8&keywords=madeleine+peyroux

I'd also suggest Patricia Barber, this live set is superb:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Fortn...d=1502609750&sr=1-13&keywords=patricia+barber

And of course the odd bit of Diana Krall, particularly Girl In The Other Room:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Girl-Other...8&qid=1502609659&sr=1-13&keywords=diana+krall

11. Natara

Natara pfm Member

Has anyone tried the Giles Peterson presents, remixed De Basio LP?

12. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

As ever, beauty is in the ear of the beholder......
    Personally, I could listen to Ms Gardot all day long, whereas Ms Peyroux is a bit of a hit and miss slog. Similarly Ms Krall - I would never switch her off but would similarly never buy any of her work either.
    As for Ms Gardot being shallow - try "Once I was Loved".

Either way, anyone interested ought to browse a few tunes on YouTube from both ladies if they really do not know either.

Ms Gardot live was a mixed bag last time around at the Palladium. Not even close to a live performance of the latest album, far more like what you might expect of "mainstream" jazz performances. For me, it was spoilt by the major over-enthusiasm of the sax' player. A good evening out though with Gardot entering into some good-hearted banter with the audience.

Have listened to some of the GP remix, online, not to my taste at all really.

13. Natara

Natara pfm Member

I would say it is very hard to pick one out against the other and own music by Ms's Gardot, Peyroux and Krall but most by Krall the ORG issue of Live in Paris is especially good. Back to Melanie De Biasio and I have to say she has a lovely voice and given the right accompaniment she could be exceptional but her work especially the No Deal record IMO is a bit samey.

14. abbydog

abbydog pfm Member

15. evand

evand pfm Member

Have to agree, Gardot's last effort "Currency of Man" is superb. Krall bores me to tears (her last album was, quite frankly, terrible), Peyroux has her moments and I'd rather watch paint dry than listen to Patricia. I'd put De Biasio ahead of both and enjoy her and Gardot equally, both great at what they do.

16. 1964meb

1964meb pfm Member

Ta for those recommendations Gaus

I have and love the girl I the other room (amongst other Dianne Krall albums) but shall look fir the others when I get home.

M

17. billza

billza pfm Member

Seen her on jools holland the bought the No Deal Lp great voice not heard any other stuff.

18. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

We saw Melanie yesterday at Madchester Deaf Institute......

I have to say that I am hard-pressed to describe the gig as it was so chilled and cerebral that we came out of the gig rather lost for words. I am assured that conversation in the girls' room after the gig was along similar lines (conversation amongst us blokes on the bogs seems to be non-existent in my experience).........
    The gig was improvisation, including some totally wonderful and haunting flute from Melanie that seems to get little or no time on recorded works (I have not checked, and memory can easily be fallible).

Again, I have not checked but I believe that she still has UK gigs - if you do want to get completely lost in a live performance, in the absolute best possible sense, go and see her. I can't really think of words to describe her performance last night outside of the incredibly feint praise of totally absorbing and simply great, wonderful music. I am certain that it will live with me for a very long time.

19. Bananahead

Bananahead pfm Member

Nice. We are planning on going to see her in three weeks time in a small club here in Zurich.

20. Johnstephen

Johnstephen Member

I love this forum. After reading this thread I have become a massive fan of this lady.
    Last night I watched this live set on my laptop with the audio piped through my hi-fi.
    Mesmerising stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBNFEqeWaQs