1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Monk

Discussion in 'music' started by carruthersesq, Oct 15, 2017.

1. carruthersesq

carruthersesq pfm Member

As a jazz novice and enjoying Miles, Coltrane etc thought I might try some Thelonious Monk (he is after all 100yrs old this week) where’s a good starting point?

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Monk was Monk right from the get go. His career trajectory is really less edge and aggression with age tempered with ever-better recording. The early Blue Note Genius Of Modern music is amazing but ‘historic’ from a quality perspective, the Riverside stuff probably the top of the bell curve and the later Columbia albums wonderful and really nicely recorded, but often revisiting past glories (something he did a lot, much of his work is reinterpretation of past works). There are a few solo piano albums on Black Lion late in life that are worth having, but I’d get the rest first.

PS The Monk market both vinyl and CD is riddled with crappy pirates so tread carefully! The boxes I’ve linked to are legit obviously.

3. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Tony, are you sure that Riverside is legit? The label is ‘EU Import’.

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Yes, it is an Italian box set repackaging the first issue OJC CDs in fat-boxes with a booklet. I have a copy, not the most elegant thing but it sounds excellent and is perfectly legit (all the copyright info is present and the CDs are identical to the original issues). There are others covering Coltrane, Bill Evans and Keith Jarrett.

5. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Tony, thanks for the info.

6. wacko

wacko pfm Member

20 CDs of Monk ? That is a starting and finishing point.

7. shrink

shrink pfm Member

It's monks time, is one of my firm favourites and the first monk album I learned to love

8. lsinclair

lsinclair file under 'curmudgeonly'

I love this, which gets overlooked as big bands aren’t usually associated with Monk.

9. carruthersesq

carruthersesq pfm Member

Thanks Tony, I’ll get some ordered.

10. SteveB

SteveB Wir sind schaufensterpuppen

11. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

12. Engels

Engels pfm Member

13. AudioAl

AudioAl pfm Member

Im not a Jaz fan , Tried some Monk , it sounded like someone tuning up before a performance , I dont get it , Ill move on , Thanks

14. wacko

wacko pfm Member

No thank you for sharing.

15. carruthersesq

carruthersesq pfm Member

I’m only just starting to appreciate it and i’m about to turn 49yrs old so it’s take me a while.

16. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Get Monk Live at Newport, fabulous plus he did the music that's one of the nintendo games from the eighties/nineties (super Mario I think), soon as you hear it you'll go 'f uck me! so that's where that came from?'

17. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

I’m listening to that now (I had an E.S.T. Phase a number of years ago). Very good, but doesn’t sound like Monk - I guess there’d be no point in the recording if they did.

18. Engels

Engels pfm Member

I did say a modern take... the underlying structure and rhythm is Monk.

My fave - which I played on his birthday is the "two-fer" vinyl "Monk-Trane"

https://g.co/kgs/WuW9EF

19. Engels

Engels pfm Member

20. Singslinger

Singslinger pfm Member

My favourite Monk albums are Straight, No Chaser, Brilliant Corners and Monk's Dream. The Live at the It Club set is also excellent, as is Monk Plays Duke Ellington.