1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Monk

Discussion in 'music' started by carruthersesq, Oct 15, 2017.

1. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

2. Citroen2CV

Citroen2CV Well-Known Member

Just played this tonight. Fantastic album.
    [​IMG]

3. clogman

clogman pfm Member

bit surprised it took so long for the Carnegie Hall album to pop up - would have been my suggestion - with Misterioso, Straight No Chaser and his album with Sonny Rollins.

Have been very tempted for a while to get the Liaisons album too -thanks for reminding me Citroen2CV!

As long as you avoid crappy bootlegs and rip-off reissues you can't go far wrong IMHO.
    But then again I named our cat after him so suppose I'm a bit of an aficionado...

4. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

TBH when it comes to buying Monk I think it's pretty straightforward.

Start with the Blue Notes. Then the Prestige LPs. Then all the Riversides.

Once you've digested those you can start picking up bits of the Columbia recordings, the numerous live LPs etc.

I'd also suggest spending some time on Youtube watching him play. He was such a physical player and his phrasing makes more sense when you see him in action. We're lucky that there are so many good quality TV studio recordings remaining.

kjb likes this.
  5. Citroen2CV

Citroen2CV Well-Known Member

6. palacefan

palacefan pfm Member

I have Monk on both CD and Vinyl, both very enjoyable. I remember many years ago on TV a Scottish broadcaster/documentary maker John Grierson (sp) raving about monk years before I made my first purchase.

7. clogman

clogman pfm Member

8. carruthersesq

carruthersesq pfm Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. Been stupidly busy of late so still haven’t managed to order anything as yet. Hopefully over the weekend.

9. clifftaylor

clifftaylor pfm Member

This post is actually quite Monk-like - odd spelling, strange punctuation, and unexpected spaces!!

10. wacko

wacko pfm Member

:) Very good.

11. Engels

Engels pfm Member

12. lsinclair

lsinclair file under 'curmudgeonly'

I’m considering getting this myself (The Liaisons Dangeureuses 2LP set - I won’t quote the image, it messes things up on my iPad) but it looks like it’s only available in France now. Can I ask where you got yours? (Of course you could be in France - just clocked your nickname, duh!)

13. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

14. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

That's a nice piece.

Bit of a stretch to say "now the pianist’s singular talent is finally being heard" - he's arguably the best known jazz pianist of his era!

15. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

That was my first thought too.

16. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

Just listened to 5 By Monk By 5. Most excellent.

17. clogman

clogman pfm Member

Seen it a little while back in Rough Trade Nottingham.
    Was a bit skint - hope I'm not going to regret passing on it hoping to get it for Xmas...