1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Music Books

Discussion in 'music' started by Fox, Apr 8, 2014.

1. simeon

simeon No fixed engagements

Deke Leonard - The Twang Dynasty
    Cash: The Autobiography
    Phil Lesh - Searching for the Sound: My Life with the Grateful Dead
    Mark Lewisohn - The Beatles - All These Years: Volume One: Tune In
    Paul Rees - Robert Plant: A Life
    John Perry - Jimi Hendrix's Electric Ladyland (33 ⅓)
    John McDermott and Eddie Kramer - Hendrix : Setting the Record Straight
    60 Years of Fender: Six Decades of the Greatest Electric Guitars
    Six Decades of the Fender Telecaster: The Story of the World's First Solidbody Electric Guitar
    The Stratocaster Guitar Book: A Complete History of Fender Stratocaster Guitars
    Gibson Guitars: 100 Years of an American Icon
    The Les Paul Guitar Book: A Complete History of Gibson Les Paul Guitars

2. hockman

hockman pfm Member

I am in the middle of David Byrne's How Music Works. Absolutely eye(ear)-opening on the creative process, music composition, production etc. Totally destroyed my previously misinformed views about the creation of modern music...

3. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

Obvious, but Lester Bangs' 'Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung' and Art Pepper's 'Straight Life' are two books about music that are actually about a whole lot more.

4. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich even my wife noticed the dif..

5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Hope no one minds but I've linked-up most of the above posts so pfm can get it's cut for advertising stuff most folk will be buying from Amazon - it all helps pay for the ongoing daftness next door in the audio room! It also adds reviews and overviews too, so is a benefit all round. I'll get to the rest a little later.

I'm actually surprised at just how many of the above I've got / read, though some to add to the shopping basket for sure! One I'll add is The 17 by Bill Drummond. He really does have a unique and highly entertaining perspective on life, art and music.

6. Fox

Fox The sound of one hoof clopping

7. formbypc

formbypc pfm Member

8. Singslinger

Singslinger pfm Member

"Horizons Touched'' - the music of ECM;

"Mind over Matter'' - the images of Pink Floyd (Storm Thorgerson);

"Taken by Storm'' - the album art of Storm Thorgerson;

"Enter Night'' - Biography of Metallica;

"Black Knight'' - Biography of Ritchie Blackmore;

"Who I Am'' - autobiography of Pete Townshend.

9. Steve Catterall

Steve Catterall pfm Member

Bass Culture - Lloyd Bradley
    Energy Flash - Simon Reynolds

10. irons1965

irons1965 pfm Member

11. jimbob75

jimbob75 pfm Member

12. billo

billo pfm Member

13. Fox

The Glenn Gould reader is a classic. I must get that.
    [​IMG]

14. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Can you hear Talvin Singh?

Those definitely, plus:

Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung: Lester Bangs

The Aesthetics Of Rock: Richard Meltzer

Shout! The True Story of The Beatles: Philip Norman

15. Jonn

Jonn pfm Member

Lipstick Traces, Greil Marcus's classic book on punk, Dadaism, the situationists , medieval heretics and the Knights of the Round Table (amongst others).

16. herb

herb music live

Two favourites of mine are:

Dear Boy, the life of Keith Moon by Tony Fletcher

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dear-Boy-Li...1397285498&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=Moon+Letcher

Schoenberg by Malcolm MacDonald
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schoenberg-...&sr=1-1&keywords=schoenberg+malcolm+macdonald

For dipping into I enjoy Richard Taruskin's 2 books - Music in the Early Twentieth Century and Music in the Late Twentieth Century.

Steven Mithen's The Singing Neanderthals is also fascinating.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Singing-Nea...397286352&sr=1-1&keywords=mithen+neanderthals

17. dave charlton

dave charlton cubist

I love dipping into The Penguin Jazz Guide - The History of the Music in the 1001 Best Albums.

18. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich even my wife noticed the dif..

My copy of 'Reasons to Be Cheerful' showed up today. 'Tis a lovely thing. I knew the Hawkwind stuff, but I wasn't aware of just how many album sleeves he did in the later 70s. Very distinctive.

19. Fox

I read a lot about music. This thread is helpful.

For several months, almost half a year I have stopped listening to music. At times I just pull the plug, the longest time has been when I went for three months without listening to anything other than the underscore or what's on a TV show. I wanted to hear some music along with a score, dialed some up and then switched off and just read the score.

The music was distracting me.

I had a realisation the other day down at the house (which is empty and silent). Music for me has becomes a theoretical issue -- I lost the ability to play bass and stick and flute so I think about music, as I get older, I find it's getting more interesting to read and read about than listen to. Which kinda bothers me -- but not that much.

I think I am really getting interested in the other end of music, the extreme silences, the imposition of perception and ghost sounds behind the tinnitus and whistle.

I need to re read Cage.

20. guey

guey pfm Member

I've just finished Kristin Hersh's Paradoxical Undressing, which was a really good read.
    She's got a very readable style, and is very open about her struggles with mental health issues, and how they impact, positively and negatively, on her writing and performing. It certainly helped that I was a big Throwing Muses fan, as there are clues in it as to how certain songs came about.