1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Music Books

Discussion in 'music' started by Fox, Apr 8, 2014.

1. billo

billo pfm Member

Dear Pall,
    sounds like you are on a journey. Try the Harry Partch path and make your own instruments (and therefore a sound to your liking) even if it is only nailing a taut (taught) wire to a tree.
    Harry
    and books about Harry

2. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

Phill Brown's book is poorly written, with too much info on ligging and drug taking, but essential reading if you've any technical interest in the recording process.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00GQZPXOQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1398156132&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

The Rotters Club by Jonathan Coe. Great novel named after one of my favourite albums or, as Hugh Hopper said to Dave Stewart, they've nicked your bloody title. '

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0141033266/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1398156291&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

Stephen

3. Still

Still gyldengourd

This fine looking and hefty tome is on the way …

[​IMG]

THE 25 PAINTINGS 2014 contains the words:
    Artists are flunkies. They are flunkies to Power. Where the Power resides, shifts through history. From the Pharaohs, via the Vatican, to Saatchi and the many stations between and beyond, artists can be found wallowing in their flunky ways…

Power wants what Art has. What the Artist can provide makes Power feel good about themselves, it defines who they are, and it confirms their power not only to themselves but to all the others that they are wanting to impress with their power…

‘Come the revolution Drummond, you and your 25 so called paintings will have no use let alone value. They won’t even be much use as building material for the barricades. At most we could break them up and use them as kindling to keep us true revolutionaries warm at night as we (wo)man those barricades…’

My theory went something like this: all big art was the art of bullies, dictators or dominant cultures, be it Imperial Rome, Stalin’s Russia or the free market economy of the liberal West. For me, there was little difference between the games in the Colosseum, Soviet realism, U2 playing a stadium gig, a Spielberg movie, a Jackson Pollock hanging on the walls of MOMA, or for that matter whatever is currently drawing the crowds in the Turbine Hall.
    It is all the big bullying art of the dominant culture telling us who knows best. And all we are expected to do is bow down, grovel, genuflect, take the lashing or just buy the merchandise. It is irrelevant what the artists’ intentions are in making the art; the only thing that really counts is the role the art plays within the culture in which it exists…

Don’t love my baby for her pouting lips
    Don’t love my baby for her curvy hips
    I love my baby ‘cause she does good sculptures, yeah!

The Rezillos (1977)

http://eastsideprojects.org/shop/the-25-paintings-catalogue

4. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Can you hear Talvin Singh?

Well, that's this week's entry for Pseud's Corner taken care of.

5. Still

Still gyldengourd

Joe Hutch is the Walter Mitty of pfm.

6. herb

herb music live

7. sadcafe

sadcafe pfm Member

Just finished 'I'll sleep when I'm dead' - Crystal Zevon account of Warrens' life. The accounts of his behaviours towards his children left me in tears. He was a grade A bastard. He sanctioned this before his death. A warts and all account drawing from those that were there. Some massive names contributed. Has made me revisit some of his music that I had previously skipped.

8. monkfish

monkfish pfm Member

Just read "Eminent hipsters" by Donald Fagen, good description of early influences and general life until meeting Walter Becker, then skips to a diary of the Dukes of September tour and It's effect on poor Don.
    Don is not happy on the tour, moans a lot and stays in his hotel room mostly, worrying and popping pills.

9. monkfish

monkfish pfm Member

10. tones

tones Tones deaf

[​IMG]

Written by the Curator of the Bach Archiv and an expert on Bach, it not only gives a history of the man himself, but also an insight into his music and what made it special (sometimes in technical terms well beyond my ken). The image with which ones comes away is, Danger; Genius at Work. It makes it clear that this was no dry-as-dust musical mathematician, but someone who was always eager to learn and improve his art, and who was always willing to push the boundaries of established practice, something which frequently brought him into conflict with his bosses. It is also an interesting exposition of the world in which Bach lived and operated.

[​IMG]

The definitive book on one of the greatest bodies of music ever written, written by the authority on the subject. Fascinating dissertations on each and every surviving cantata, with texts and explanations, plus much background on subjects such as the Lutheran church year and its various feast days. which determined to some extent what was to be sung on a particular day.

11. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

12. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

Aye, am part way through it. Excellent stuff so far. Chapter 1 entitled Masturbation...

13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

She writes so well I got through it in just a few days, it landed on Sat IIRC. I'd pre-ordered it months ago (a signed copy from Faber & Faber), I'd actually forgotten about it when it dropped through the door.

14. Fox

Fox The sound of one hoof clopping

Whomever made this thread is a fricking genius.
    Ordered the VA book.

15. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

16. guey

guey pfm Member

I'm currently reading this collection of writing about Scott Walker, and bar the David Toop* chapter, it's been pretty good.

I've liked his writing in the past, but this is unbearably pretentious, and tells you very little about the subject.

17. RickyC6

18. ciderglider

ciderglider pfm Member

Am currently in the foothills of Yeah Yeah Yeah - The Story of Modern Pop by Bob Stanley (wasn't he in Kiss? - maybe I'll find out later in the book...) It's a weighty tome, we're almost at page 100 and still no Beatles. It's long on fact and short on theory/opinion. It's very similar in structure to Rip It Up. So far Bob has persuaded me to look at The Everly Brothers and Del Shannon again.

19. RickyC6

I loved it. Took me an age to get through though. And no, it was St Etienne he was in.

20. radamel

radamel pfm Member