1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

My Bloody Valentine Reissues

Discussion in 'music' started by Warszawa, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Warszawa

Warszawa pfm Member

FINALLY, after years of speculation and teasers, Kevin Shields is finally happy with the "Isn't Anything" and "Loveless" vinyl reissues and they're due January 18th.

https://www.mybloodyvalentine.org/home?hs=1

2. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey pfm Member

Bundle ordered. Thanks for the heads up.

3. Warszawa

Warszawa pfm Member

4. rdf

rdf Active Member

I dunno. I've all got three Lovelesses and four Isn't Anythings already. Part of me wants these, too. I want to hear how they sound, but a) I'm regularly unimpressed or downright disappointed with the sound of represses b) I hate 180g vinyl: it doesn't agree with my turntable; and c) I don't want to be one of those soft marks paying fortunes to re-buy his youth.

All that said, I'll probably get them anyway, and hate myself for it....

5. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

Samez.

6. Warszawa

Warszawa pfm Member

Mr Shields has put so much work into these it'd be rude not to.

7. Premmyboy

Premmyboy Member

Pre ordered.

8. barryb

barryb pfm Member

I have the so-called bootleg/ not-so-bootleg print of Loveless that Shields had truck with some years ago. Sounds good to me. Maybe it's just me but I'm happy with almost any print of this album.

9. rdf

rdf Active Member

The ones on Plain? I have those, and they're not bad, though I don't think I ever play them. You all persuaded me by the way. I've ordered the new ones too. I am weak.

10. guey

guey pfm Member

I'm a bit baffled as to how anyone could ascertain whether these will sound better, given their odd, woozy production.
    Particularly when they've been remastered by someone, who by his own admission, has hearing damage; and is relying on audio memory from over 25 years ago.

11. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

This is my worry. The Cocteau Twins remasters from a few years ago were simply horrible, almost unrecognisable to the beautiful floating ethereal originals. I strongly suspect they were the result of someone who spent far too long listening to high-volume guitar distortion without ear protection and has a massive presence region notch in their hearing.

I really like Loveless, but only have it on first issue CD. Given this is almost certainly a flat master transfer it doesn’t sound like there is a lot to work with. It is hugelly layered and opaque with no real dynamic range at all. It sounds like the stereotypical ‘monitors way, way too loud’ mix to me which sounds great in the studio at the time, but will never sound big or powerful at low volume on more modest speakers as really there are no dynamics or space. I suspect there is really little to do here, but if it turns out these are actually good I’ll order a copy. Please anyone who buys report back!

12. rdf

rdf Active Member

The Cocteaus ones were odd all right. Blue Bell Knoll was okay, but Heaven or Las Vegas had two tracks (I think Iceblink Luck and the title track) which sounded completely different to all the others. Weird, almost phasing, and compressed. They really stood out as different. And a strange end to the last track, where the original faded out.

I actually don't think Loveless is quite so layered and opaque as all that. As my system's got better over the last 20-odd years, Loveless has got simpler and simpler. Get inside it, on a revealing system, and there's not really all that much happening. It's about texture, and that comes out with something that can reveal very fine detail. It's an exercise in making a lot out of a little.

Conversely, (and somewhat OT) I was listening to The Smiths the other night, for the first time in donkey's years. With my new headphone amp, I could hear just how many different guitar parts are on those records, and some sounded "bitty" and disjointed. This guitar plays this chord, then this one plays the next, it's crazy in places. Some songs -- songs I know inside out -- suddenly sounded kind of a mess, fussy, and over-worked. Get it through the speakers and turn it up, and everything merges together. It sounds like there's less than there really is, and it forms a coherent whole.

RickyC6 likes this.