1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Naim CD3.5 reading disc but throwing ERR when playing, or not reading discs at all..

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by Dowser, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Dowser

Dowser Learning to bodge again..

*** Re-instatement from PFM timewarp DB crash earlier today :) ***

Hi All

Just picked up a fault CD3.5 - it supposedly had laser replaced a while back, then wasn't used for 6 months, and is now showing an ERR.

After being in direct sunlight for an hour, it reads discs after cleaning laser, but when I press play it runs for around 5 seconds, then starts skipping, then throws the ERR and stops a second or 2 later. Doesn't seem to matter when on disc - it will search and find track when skipping half way through disc, but does same thing; plays for a few seconds then throws the ERR and stops (it goes back to original TOC).

Once sun had gone from my balcony, it stops reading disc TOC at all (8 degree ambient without sun, circa 25 with...welcome to Swissieland ;)).

Any ideas before I whip it apart to inspect?

Thanks, Richard

DubbLinn responded earlier today (also gone);

I had a similar issue with my CD3.5. A quick clean of the puck sorted it for me, worth a try.

I tried a known good puck from one of my CDi's already, so not that.

I have a spare good 12.4 mech from Donberg (I bought 2, one already used to fix a Micromega), so I suppose next stage is to transplant the laser across into the 12.5 mech in the 3.5.

Any other ideas, please let me know.

Thanks! Richard

2. Dowser

I had another look at this tonight - removed the whole swinging mech assembly, stripped out the PACB with laser, cleaned and regreased it. Put the swing assembly back in, balanced mech on top of it and connected up, but it appears as if the sled motor has no power (winding laser half way out, it no longer moves back to inside on powering on). What is the trick here? How do I run the mech outside of the original assembly - see photos below; is this a switch of some sort? Can I just short it?

Thanks, Richard

Tried to run it like this, sled motor doesn't return to inside on power up;
    [​IMG]

Is this a switch?
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

3. gaz25

gaz25 pfm Member

magnet under the switch will get it running

4. MJS

MJS Trade: Witch Hat Audio

Yes, that's a reed switch that's actuated by a magnet near the edge of the player. Take the plastic bottom from the tray and lay it in the cd player. You can now run the pcb next to the door switch and it'll let you observe what's going on.

5. Dowser

Great, thanks both - thought it must be, but it was too cold on my balcony this time of year to experiment :)

Thanks again, Richard

6. Dowser

Yay - vam 1204 Laser transplanted into the 1205 mech after a bit of fat finger fiddling and it’s playing music now. Quite surprised how nice it sounds - has the qualities I like about my Micromega Stage 3. Does the cd 3.5 use dual tda1305s too?

I leave it running a while, then I guess it would be rude not to do Acoustica mod 7 before boxing it up :)

Thanks again for above advice, Richard

7. MJS

MJS Trade: Witch Hat Audio

The cd3.5 uses a single TDA1305 DAC. The rail filter fix mod 7 is something we do as a matter of course with these. Enjoy it, I agree it's a very musical player.

8. Dowser

Thanks - mod 7 makes a nice difference to an otherwise stock player, harder edges and more refined at same time - nice! Thanks Martin :)

Player is up for sale though, see ad in classifieds, £230 + shipping. I have too many CDPs already, and prefer my Micromega Stage 3 for a tda1305 implementation, and my 2 CDIs overall regardless :)

But even while typing this while listening to it...I could easily live with this as my only player...should I try my ALWSR dual rail DIY PSU on it I wonder....

9. Dowser

Aaaannnnddd...with my Frankenstein dual-rail NAC PSU from years and years back - sounds better, but not as much difference as applying mod 7. I wonder if difference would have been greater without Mod 7...should have tried I guess. I haven't powered this thing up in at least 4 years...I was surprised it still ran!;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All in all, I am very impressed by the CD3.5 - a very competent player at its price point and as per above, I could easily live with it...if I didn't already own the CDIs :) I would guess this now beats my Stage 3, but I haven't even modified that so far.

Richard