1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Naim NAC 42 / NAP 110 experiences..

Discussion in 'classic' started by beammeup, Feb 12, 2017.

1. beammeup

beammeup pfm Member

I've decided to invest in this classic Chrome Bumper combo to see what all the Naim fuss is all about (in certain circles) - fully serviced in December 2016 - and the 110 was upgraded to a 140 back in the 80's.

Anyway, while I'm waiting for some appropropriate cables (see me in the wanted section) - can anyone tell me their experiences of similar Naim equipment of old?

It's a shame I've just bought it but can't use it until appropriately tethered - nevertheless I can hear other peoples account of them and that would be of interest to me.

2. stonehenge

stonehenge Steve

A 42.5 / 110 combo got me into Naim originally. Cost £200. Then many upgrades later had me at CDI / 82 / Supercap / 250 / SBL's and is where I left Naim. If I was to return, it would be to a 72 / 140.

3. wylton

wylton pfm Member

The NAC 42.5 is one of my favourite Naim pre-amps; I'm currently using mine in the office system with an Avondale TPR4'd Hi-Cap and it sounds might fine.

4. Colinb

Colinb pfm Member

I have just started using my old 42 again in place of my 72. Its a very early one, serial number 0123. I have fitted a 5 pin DIN and dual railed powered using a DIY supply. I have partially recapped it and it sounds very good. I'm not missing the 72 at all. if anything I would say it is more dynamic than the 72, although maybe not quite so refined. That may be down to the old volume pot and balance control, though. So far only used it with my Avondale cd player into a HackerNap.

5. beammeup

beammeup pfm Member

Good to see these positive responses, although some out there really dislike Naim - I guess in those circumstances they don't like Naim's signature sound.

I am yet to find out for myself, those two fantastic looking boxes, and fully serviced too, which are just sitting pretty until I get the necessary cables in order to plumb it into my system!

Frustrating, but I pushed myself in order to afford these, so will have to wait until I have enough funds for the specific cabling needs of Naim.

6. Colinb

Colinb pfm Member

If you are any good with a soldering iron you can make your own interconnects for the cost of a couple of DIN plugs and a metre of cable and if you need cheap speaker cable just use bog standard twin core mains cable to get you going.

7. wylton

wylton pfm Member

I personally wouldn't worry about using Naim NA5 loudspeaker cable; Naim's NA4 or Linn's LK20 is perfectly good enough, without breaking the bank, but I would, myself, use purpose designed cable.

8. beammeup

beammeup pfm Member

Interesting, a list of cables other than Naim NA5 includes so far:

Old Exposure cable.
    Naim's NA4
    Van Den Hul The Clearwater
    Linn K20.
    Cable Talk 3.1
    Witch Hat Audio N2 Loudspeaker Cable (advertised when doing a Google search).

I'm just slow at making a decision because I don't want to fizzle out these lovely looking amps, and I don't want to be disappointed with the sound when I listen to Naim for the first time in my home. These older Naim amps are apparently far more sensitive to cable than the newer incarnation.

9. Pinky

Pinky In suspense, not compressed

Naim NAC A4 was the cable during the 42/110's day. You can pick that up s/h a lot cheaper than A5 and it is easier to use (more flexible).

However Linn K20 is as far as I know the same as A4 (anyone care to confirm this?) and can be had for £5 a metre new which what with the price rises of everything else seems a bit of a bargain.

I like the 42/110. What do you plan to use them with?

10. beammeup

beammeup pfm Member

Role Audio Enterprise Loudspeakers, and one of my many digital sources. I have a feeling if the K20's are the same as the A4 then that might be a good plan. Also the stiffness of the A5's would be off-putting for me anyway.

11. Pinky

I've never heard of the Role Audio Enterprise so just searched for it. Looks interesting!

Good luck with cable choosing. K20 seems the most cost effective way if you fancy some nice shiny new ones. It's quite flexible too just like NAC A4 - funny that eh?? :D

12. beammeup

beammeup pfm Member

13. beammeup

beammeup pfm Member

also found this about NACA5 ....

NACA5 may not be unique but it's electrical properties are important for the older Naim amp models.

NACA5 specifications are as follows:

Capacitance: 16pF per metre
    Resistance: 9 milliohms per metre
    Inductance: 1uH per metre

Minimum length: 3.5 metres per channel
    Maximum length: 20 metres per channel (note that longer lengths can be used up to around 25 m but then some small signal loss must be expected)

I believe low capacitance and moderate inductance being the critical factors.

Hence the min.3.5 m length to give the required inductance.

14. Pinky

Linn K20 (from their website):

•2-core loudspeaker cable
    •Each core contains 54 strands of 0.3 mm copper (4 sq mm)
    •Flexible sheath in grey finish
    •Capacitance: 16pF per metre at 1kHz (typical value)
    •Inductance: 0.93µM per metre at 1kHz (typical value)

This is interesting too (from the Naim forum):

Date: September 10, 1999 05:14 AM

Author: julian vereker

Subject: NACA4

Incidentally the Linn (K20?) cable was an illegal copy by BICC of our

NACA4, BICC thought that it was their design and therefore started

supplying both grey and black copies to other manufacturers including

Linn - due to a change of staff/factory I believe.

When this was pointed out to BICC, they settled out of court. We then

spent the money on designing a new and better cable with another

supplier under a secrecy agreement, and this is the NACA5.

julian"

15. kitemap

kitemap PT1 Xerxes Rock

I ran (and still have out on loan) a Nac42.5 and a Nap90.
    They were my primary amps for over ten years and I absolutely loved the sound. If I was going to stay in the house I'm currently in I'd sell my current set-up and plug them back in.
    I tried various speaker cables including Naim NA4, NVA, QED and Linn of some sort and in all honestly couldn't tell much if any difference from solid core copper mains cable.

Pop down to your local hardware shop and plug those beauties in!

D

16. beammeup

beammeup pfm Member

OK, might just use the AQ F-14's, I notice that Richard Dunn also needs low capacitance cables for his NVA amps and lists the F-14 as an alternative to his NVA speaker cables to guarantee his amps.

17. kitemap

kitemap PT1 Xerxes Rock

Have you ever looked at Mr D***'s bottom of the range LS2 cables?
    It's just reasonably terminated seven core copper wire, don't know the precise gauge but off hand think it's only 1.5mm.

18. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

Avondale Blacklink cables come up for sale from time to time here. I used them for a few years & thought they were very good, once you've got over the incredibly unsubstantial look of them, compared to A4/A5 etc.
    As already mentioned, the speaker cable length & type was considered by Naim to be an integral part of the amp system with their older stuff. Whilst I've never spoken to someone who actually had a fatal issue by using non-Naim leads, the warning is out there.

19. MartinC

MartinC pfm Member

It was good times back then when Julian would take the time to respond to posts on the Naim Forum. He would even chime in on mods that people were making and profer advice, it was more like like a group of friends and enthusiastic music lovers chatting about how to get the best sound from their gear.

20. MartinC

MartinC pfm Member

Older Naim amps don't employ what is known as a Zobel network on the amp output hence there is a possibility of instability in the amp if the speaker leads don't have the right electrical properties, naimly capacitance and inductance. I have never heard of anyone trashing a system by using the wrong leads though so I guess it's possible.