1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Naim NAC 42 / NAP 110 experiences..

Discussion in 'classic' started by beammeup, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

A Naim 42/110 is a classic combination. I'm not convinced the 140 is a upgrade over a 110 - there is something musically right with the 110.

2. MJS

MJS Trade: Witch Hat Audio

All Naim amps have the resistor and capacitor that's commonly referred to as a Zobel network. What none of them do is have a series inductor, relying instead on the inductance of the speakers and cable, hence the 3.5m limit. However speaker leads are great RF dipoles too and without that inductor can couple any RF straight back into the amp.

It's very easy to provoke a Naim amp into instability because of this. My favourite is the system on top of a hill with direct line of sight to Wrotham and Crystal Palace. I actually had to fit inductors to that one to keep it from oscillating at HF.

3. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

Totally agree.

4. Rico

Rico Registered User

I picked up a 42/110 combo once I got established in Blighty. I'd picked up Rega Kytes, an Alpha7 CD, and an FM4 tuna. Kevin Hughes esq had very kindly loaned me his Nait 2. I was at home, as back downunder I had a Nait 2, and 72/hi/250.

Anyway, onto the 42/110. One of the units was very early, something like s/n 1212 or 1414 (my old list isn't to hand)... they were tired. I recapped them with quality parts from Cricklewood Electronics, didn't want to go overboard. Whilst the 42 wasn't a 72, the setup was fast, agile, tuneful. I ended up with a couple of 32.5's that quickly relegated the 42 to the cupboard, and a succession of 140's that revealed the 110 had a bit more speed on it's side, and although the regulated supply of the 140 was better overall, the 110 had a special kind of magic. The 42 had simplicity, and was cleaner inside than the 42.5. I later sold the 42 along with the 110, it might have gone with my CD3 after I acquired a CDX and 82? Great adventures. Mr James-Knight, where are you now?

If a 42/110 rocked up to me today, I'd welcome it and provide it with a warm cosy home. I've just the right small speakers to keep it busy.

5. Graham H

Graham H pfm Member

Mark, interesting informed comment. What in your opinion would be the best speaker cable for CB Naim amps? In conversations with Chord Company in the past, I've understood them to prioritise RF rejection in their designs. I'm not quite sure effective this is in reality. Stick to the recommended length of A4/A5?

6. MJS

Stick to A4/5 or use our Witch Hat N2 cable which is made to JV's spec for an alternative to their own cable.

7. Graham H

Graham H pfm Member

Thanks.

8. analogmusic

analogmusic pfm Member

interesting, how does NACA4/5 prevent this?
    And how does it sound when the amp starts becoming unstable?

9. MJS

Speaker cable has inductance, add enough of it and it isn't an issue. The system above was using NACA5, unstable amps tend to run very hot.

10. atlay

atlay Member

Just bought Naim NAC42/NAP110 to power a pair of Celestion Ditton 44s (also recently acquired). I'm pretty excited by this new (old) set up but need some advice regarding speaker cable...

From what I've read, it appears I need specific Naim speaker cable but with NAC A5 at £32 per metre this is not feasible.
    I've been looking at Van Damme Blue Series 2.5mm Speaker Cable. Would this be suitable for the Naim / Celestion set up? or do I need 4mm? (Looking to have 15m per speaker)

Also does anyone know if i might occur any issues plugging a Technics Direct Drive SL-1210Mk2 Record deck into the phono input of NAC42?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I dont want to damage my new investment through ignorance!

Cheers

11. kitemap

kitemap PT1 Xerxes Rock

If you want to do it on the cheap just use solid core mains cable. Somebody on here will advise you of gauge to suit 15m lengths with Naim amps.

That depends on what if any phono cards are inside the 42 and the cartridge on the Technics. The turntable will almost certainly have a moving magnet (MM) cartridge but do check to make sure.
    Open it up and have a look before you do anything.
    If they are 323 cards they are for MC and you would not want to plug the TT in.
    If they are 322 cards they are for MM and you will be okay. (even a MC won't do any damage but will be very quiet indeed)
    Any other cards and they will be optimized for a line level source and your turntable will be far too quiet so you will need to buy some 322 cards (assuming MM).
    I think I've got that all the right way round but do check.

D

12. atlay

atlay Member

Thats very good to know about the TT. Ive just checked the card and its a 322 and my cartridge is an Ortofon (Concorde Nightclub) which is MM so all good : )

Thanks so much

13. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Linn K20 cable is identical to Naim NACA4 and you can get this cheaply.

14. atlay

atlay Member

Why is this? Was thinking about getting new one anyway but is the ortofon not suitable IYO?

15. kitemap

kitemap PT1 Xerxes Rock

I have no idea of the quality of the Ortofon Concorde Nightclub, but it's definitely a DJ cartridge/headshell designed for abuse and even going backwards.
    I'd imagine that a desent home audio specific cartridge would be better but I'm sure there must be loads of information out there on your cartridge.
    I think you'd need a new headshell too as the Ortofon appears to be one single headshell/cartridge unit.

Edit:
    It looks like they do make hifi stylii for the concorde:
    https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=28113
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ortofon-concorde-cartridge-best-stylus-for-hi-fi.606002/

16. davem

davem pfm Member

My first foray into Naim was a 42.5/110 with an LP12 and Linn Kans - just love this system - it just had the boogie factor! Would be sorely tempted to revisit it again if I had the space for a 'second system'!

17. Gaius

That indeed would make for a superb toe taping musical system.

I have actually just rescued, restore and serviced an old skool LP12, pre circus/Ittok/Asak, got it hooked up to a Nait 2 and MK I Kans, stupid good system!

18. Gaius

OP, I have had most of that generation of Naim over the years, the 110 in particular is a fantastic little power amp, one of the best they made, you might want to try it with a 32.5 at some point and consider a service by Naim or Darran at Class A.

19. scottcarpenter

scottcarpenter pfm Member

Avondale Blacklink are amazing.

I still use them after many years.

20. Whatsisnaim

Whatsisnaim pfm Member

I like BlackLink too, plus it has the advantage of being thin and easy to handle. (Also available in white!) I'd still be tempted to try NACA5 if it was me, but the chances of finding any used cable in a 15m pair is very small, and buying it new would be expensive. Linn LK20 would be fine as well.