1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Naim qute as preamp for Quad II amps?

Discussion in 'classic' started by _webwasher, Nov 9, 2017.

1. _webwasher

_webwasher pfm Member

Currently my Sonos connect streams into quad 22 with Quad II as power amps. A naim qute sits in the shelf, waiting for singing again.

Wouldn’t it be great to use the qute as pre and streamer and use the pre outs to the Quad II? Any comments or experience on this?

Thanks for reading and your feedback.

2. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

It's a safe bet that nobody has done this. However if your Naim does RCA out or DIN out then it will work. It's only audio. Quad gear is used to higher level inputs to the power amp (low gain) so you may have to turn up the pre more than you think. No big deal. In addition it costs you nothing to try assuming there is nothing too tricky on the cabling front. Even if there is then a few pounds on a cable is no big deal.

3. Craig B

Craig B Re:trophile

The signal ground switch may even become useful...

[​IMG]

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Check the QII input sensitivity, IIRC it is rather high so you may not have enough gain.

5. _webwasher

_webwasher pfm Member

Yes, signal ground....floating should be the right choice as the ii uses chassis ground as ground. Hopefully I got this correct.
    Gain is crucial too. 4 volts for the ii iirc - have to check the qute.

Other things to watch?

6. Craig B

Craig B Re:trophile

Yes, have a look at 'Section 4.4 The Speakers Menu' of the user manual; in particular, the 'Type' and 'Max Volume' parameters.
    'Type' has to do with high pass filter settings as well as a 'None' option for when no speakers are connected to the 'Qute.

Edit: Looks like 775mV, 22Ohm for pre-amp output with output load @ 10kOhm minimum.

7. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

The Quad is rated for 1.4 volts in for maximum output and the Naim 0.775 volts out so it may not be a match made in heaven.