1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Nights at the Opera

Discussion in 'classical' started by Whaleblue, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Whaleblue, my suggestion for the next would be La Boheme, my favourite Puccini opera. Or possibly Peter Grimes for something in English. You’d probably get 100 different suggestions from 100 different people.

Opera is such a silly art form, and yet yet it’s wonderful.

2. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Box-swapper extraordinaire

Thanks Steve, yes, after part 2’s focus on La Boheme, it looks a strong candidate.

3. Whaleblue

I’ve just listened to my only recording of Cosi. Specifically Soave sia il vento, which I find absolutely beautiful, as I’m sure you all do. My recording is Böhm/Schwarzkopf et al. I’m somewhat pleased to say that it’s a major disappointment.

Last night’s performance was in a different league. I suspect, as I heard a lady behind us suggest, due to the rather more appropriate age of the performers. Well that, and consummate skill on their behalf. A few minutes that will stay with me for some time - despite the clatter of a dropped programme half way through. It was, after all, a programme droppingly superb rendition.

4. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

...well, that's two ex-Nazi Party members already right there and probably a lot more involved in the recording. :)

5. Richard C.

Richard C. pfm Member

Quite so.

Worsley is good at historical things (although the seriousness of the subjects sometimes suffers from her seeming to project herself as "crumpet"). I like opera very much indeed which is why I don't care for the Worsley approach to the subject, or at least, the approach taken by her BBC producer.

But I agree with Joe - this appears yet another example of The Beeb cashing in on a transient popularity thinking that the vehicle which established that popularity in the first place can be replicated in any number of other formats. We have Fiona Bruce and Joanna Lumley guiding us through exotic places, Gordon Ramsay is about to transport us to the horrors of cocaine supply and I see that a Bake-Off girl is going to be our expert guide to some other exotic destination. There are too many of these things. In every case what could have been an interesting and possibly absorbing programme has been "dumbed-down" to the level of the viewer which Aunty supposedly associates with that particular presenter.

Sad, innit?

6. Whaleblue

Lucy Worsley is an historian, with a particular interest in British royalty. Whilst I have little interest in the modern, largely irrelevant, crop, it’s clear that in past centuries they played a somewhat central role in developments, so worthy of some study I’m sure.

Anyway, I certainly learnt a few things from the programme, so, as one of the dumb, benefitted from her perspective on Opera.

7. adamdea

adamdea pfm Member

Well you'll just have to buy a load more recordings. Or just try them out on spotify. Maybe Jacobs?

https://open.spotify.com/album/4CjHjVeWEaZtoCgUiCORQS

8. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

The Ramsey programme on cocaine was on ITV.

9. Rk19

Rk19 pfm Member

Marriage of Figaro. Mozart.

10. Whaleblue

11. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

12. adamdea

adamdea pfm Member

Well there are so many to choose from. I've never heard anyone call Jacobs slow before- although maybe too fast in some places and too slow in others-
    https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/mozart-così-fan-tutte-10

Anyway the great thing about spotify or tidal or whatever is that you can try lots of different version without having to completely fill your house. And operas are easy to search for.

13. Rk19

Rk19 pfm Member

14. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Watched it very late last night- excellent. Quite why they played a Tchaikovsky Symphony over the section on Wagner and Bayreuth was a mystery.

15. adamdea

adamdea pfm Member

btw if anyone can beg borrow or steal tickets for the current ROH lucia di lammermoor, then do go.
    Production has at least some real points to make and Lisette Oropesa is the real deal. Quite possibly one of those star-is-born moments.

https://www.standard.co.uk/goingout...-touch-of-madness-works-wonders-a3673236.html

annoyingly I can't see it on any of the cinema listings. That may be because it was screened when the production opened last year. But this is IMHO (and failing memory) better than last year.