1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Nile Rodgers ....BBC4

Discussion in 'music' started by andyoz, Oct 5, 2017.

1. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Excellent, should be very decent.

3. jackbarron

jackbarron Stamford Bridge KGB

Look forward to it.

Jack

4. FireMoon

FireMoon pfm Member

The vast majority of his most famous guitar parts were recorded using a Tokai Strat.

5. jackbarron

jackbarron Stamford Bridge KGB

Nile is very eloquent when he talks about writing songs, his role in Chic and producing Sister Sledge.

It is educational to hear him explain how Bernard Edwards and him started songs with a hook line, because it is the strongest part. The story about trying to get the religious sisters to sing slightly risqué lyrics is amusing as well.

Next week is when the problems crop up, I guess, with the death of bass partner Bernard, addiction and the hits running out.

The series seems well directed, shot and produced, and the guests have something interesting to say. They include musicians, journalists and radio DJs.

Jack

6. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

Really enjoyed tonight's episode. Seeing footage from Nile's summer performance at Glasgow Kelvingrove Bandstand was an unexpected surprise.

7. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

Really enjoyed, this. Not a big fan of Chic but very interesting to learn about his life.

8. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Every time I see him interviewed like that I just at wanna pick up the guitar....BUT will never get his timing.

Eddie Van Halen was another one.

They invented their own timing.

9. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Imagineer

Bernard didn't die until much later, but they both had big addition problems, and the unreliability that was a consequence of that drove them apart.

The hits stopped dead following Disco Demolition Night and the disco backlash.

Nile's book is very good ... I'm sure Tony will monetize it by adding an appropriate link, but I can't be arsed.

10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Predictable as ever: Nile Rogers - Le Freak.

I enjoyed the program last night. It is so sad Bernard Edwards is no longer around, the interplay between them is one of the finest things ever in pop music. The Sly & Robbie of disco.

11. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

They obviously didn't go into Niles persistent insomnia...cases by the kiddy fiddling that went on as a child when he was in care...he's stay awake to save himself. Parents were hapless druggies. The guy is an inspiration...

12. lost audiophile

lost audiophile pfm Member

Really! Had I known I would have kept my Tokai fretless!

13. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Niles is a great musician and a great performer, some people here sneer at disco and pop, but his is the best.

14. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

An excellent program. Nile's such a cool guy, and his autobiography's an excellent read. I was never a fan of disco back in the day but I've grown to admire his music. "Lost In Music" is a truly superb track and defines the man.

15. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

Didn't think I 'd like it, but I did.

Nice, talented guy. Recommended

16. Buster Clayton

Buster Clayton New Member

really enjoyed it..... Nile & Bernard what a pairing !

17. rhgbristol

rhgbristol pfm Member

Well worth watching

18. RogerJW

RogerJW pfm Member

Yes - totally agree. Hadn't realised how many songs he's penned - his set at Glastonbury this year was one of the best - and it's infectious music - just make you want to boogie. :cool:

19. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Anyone else notice that all that footage of him being interviewed 'sitting' in a couple of different studios, he actually isn't in those rooms. It's green screen.

20. TPA

TPA Trade: Tiger Paw

Yep, whenever I hear some of those tracks, it just makes me feel good. Can't say I was ever into the whole disco thing but there were some outstanding songs back in the day.