1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Nina Simone or Aretha Franklin?

Discussion in 'music' started by merlin, Sep 19, 2017.

1. merlin

merlin pfm Member

Nina Simone or Aretha Franklin?

Whose work speaks to your soul?

Very different styles but two of the finest soul singers of the sixties. Lyrically very different messages too.

A bit like Stones or Beatles then. Just with better singers :)

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Nina. A seriously underrated pianist too. One of the real jazz greats and civil rights pioneers.

3. merlin

merlin pfm Member

Nina gets my vote too Tony - primarily for the lyrical content of much of her work and the manner in which she could deliver it. She simply had more "attitude".

4. Konteebos

Konteebos Post Ironic

Nina, for me, too.

5. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

Nina had the better lyrics, but Aretha the better vocal range and her backing band/singers were superb also.
    A draw for me.

Bloss

6. Big Tabs

Big Tabs frequently wrong.

Ms. Simone every time. Song-writing, piano master and a great stylish voice. Different league.

7. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Aretha.
    I have nearly all of Aretha's Atlantic output. I have one of Nina's best of CDs. Never could get along with her vocals.

8. Sean K

Sean K pfm Member

Nina every time for me- I understand she didn't really consider herself much of a singer, early on, at least. I agree that Aretha clearly has the 'better' voice but Nina communicates feeling much more. Plus, she has that kind of quiet, understated power that Mavis Staples has. I get a bit distracted by some of the pyrotechnics of Aretha's style but I'm only really familiar with the hits and I never loved a man the way....

Just been listening to Nina's version of funkier than a mosquito's tweeter, it's terrific

9. Midlandaudiox

Midlandaudiox Trade: Midland Audio X-Change

100% Nina musically more edgy and impowering
    just listen to Strange Fruit

10. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

Aretha. It's not even close.

11. JamesJamerson

JamesJamerson pfm Member

+1. The way she sings:

"And there's no misery...." at 3.37, is spine chilling:

[youtube]w5z5vulgiGI[/youtube]

12. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

They are both great artists and it's horses for courses.
    If you haven't seen this watch it.
    [youtube]XHsnZT7Z2yQ[/youtube]

13. gassor

gassor "There may be more posts after this."

Rolling Stone gets it pretty well right in its' top 100 singers. Nina in at 29 and Aretha in at number 1. Just listen to the range and passion in her voice. No one is close to Lady Soul.

14. Still

Still gyldengourd

both

The Strat likes this.
  15. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

They seem so different that I am not sure that comparisons are worthwhile but oh well I will join in:

Fight, Fight, Fight...

(Despite the wisdom of Rolling Stone, my preference is Nina).

16. merlin

merlin pfm Member

It's a fair point.

The comparison is to do with which one speaks to your soul directly more often?

Vocal range is only part of that equation to me. Lyrics, intonation, delivery and many other facets make it an intriguing one for me.

Aretha undoubtedly has the vocal range, but the majority of the songs that I know are to do with relationships, family, love and emotion.

Simone has a vocal delivery that is floss free. It feels it's straight from her heart and is more akin to modern rap music in it's delivery on occasion. It traces its way back more towards African roots. Lyrically, it's often more politically driven and focusses on more varied topics whilst still engaging the emotions.

17. glancaster

glancaster In the silicon vale

Both great singers. However, Nina Simone's version of 'Strange Fruit' is simply extraordinary.

18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

To me its not even close, I'm pretty much complete with Nina Simone, haven't got a single Aretha Franklin album! Simone is up there with Billie Holiday, Gil Scott Heron, Bob Dylan etc, one of the most intelligent, powerful and articulate voices in music history. Aretha is a damn good singer.

19. gassor

gassor "There may be more posts after this."

Faint praise I'm afraid, Aretha shared a platform with Martin Luther King at his request and her "Respect", became an anthem for women and black people in general during the Civil Rights Movement. Her version of A Change is Gonna Come is unsurpassed in my opinion. Politics aside Aretha is not just a damn good singer, she is the best singer ever, the voice of an angel.

20. Natara

Natara pfm Member

Oh my god cannot believe that is a serious question Nina Simone was a very talented musician so were Lennon and Macartney as were Jagger and Richards as was Bowie, Marr & Morrisey and many, many others Aretha Franklin on the other hand was exceptional a one off who had a voice so profoundly incomparable that if I believed in such things I would say came from God.