1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Nina Simone or Aretha Franklin?

Discussion in 'music' started by merlin, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Natara

Natara pfm Member

Tony you said it Nina Simone is up there with all the other top musicians IMO at least ten even twenty musicians Aretha Franklin is so far out there on her own that not one singer even comes remotely close ever.

2. Caliente

Caliente pfm Member

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Must be a taste thing, Aretha does little for me, Nina connects and speaks truths. I guess I’m a jazz fan rather than a 60s soul fan. I suspect it is that simple!

4. Still

Still gyldengourd

What about Claire Grogan?

(this is mainly for gassor's benefit)

5. gassor

gassor "There may be more posts after this."

How did you know that along with Gary Kemp I had a slight fancy for Clare?

Still think she's lovely and sparkly, but not much in the vocal department I'm afraid.

6. JamesJamerson

JamesJamerson pfm Member

I'm both, and of all the genres that wouldn't kick the other out of bed, I'd have thought they were the least likely to. Oh well, Nina doing this, is truly a thing of delicate beauty:

[youtube]fmbfz32jCnk[/youtube]

7. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

As you say Tony, it's a taste thing. There's nothing more divisive in music than voices, I think. I have a blind spot over Billie Holliday - I just don't like the sound of her voice. My loss.

But to dismiss Aretha as nothing more than a 60s soul singer is just plain wrong. She was a fine pianist, and a great gospel singer, right up there with Mahalia Jackson (listen to Amazing Grace or the live album recorded when she was just 15). She could sing standards with the best of them - Sarah Vaughan vowed never to sing Skylark again after she heard Aretha's version. And when she wanted to, she could be a great jazz singer. The misleadingly-titled Soul 69 album is a great jazz album, with backing musicians of the calibre of Ron Carter, Kenny Burrell, and Joe Zawinul.

And Aretha's version of Nina's song Young, Gifted and Black is *so* much better than Nina's original ;-)

8. Chris Marshall

Chris Marshall pfm Member

Wouldn't want to be without either of them in my collection.

Sinnerman is one of the most intense songs ever recorded, Respect is the definitive soul song for me!

9. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

Don't disagree and I personally love both of them. But Nina speaks directly to my soul in a way Aretha rarely does. It's as if she can convey more complex emotions for want of a more appropriate expression.

Listening to Emergency Ward as I type and it's a remarkable live album. Her voice is both languid and filled with the attitude of a true preacher.

My feeling, and possibly the reason for starting the thread, is that one's preference displays a great deal about ones character given the differences between the two in lyrical content and style.

For me, and I love a lot of Aretha Franklin's output, there's a lot of embellishment which Nina avoids yet gets the message across in such a direct way.

10. Still

Still gyldengourd

As another Scottish gent of a certain age a lucky guess/I had a funny feeling :)

I suspected as much from our discussion of Trixie's Big Red Mototrbike.
    Must confess I was a massive Altered Images fanboi!

11. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

I presume you are purchasing a lot of Kendrick Lamar's output in that case along with Public Enemy etc. Do you have any of these artists in your collection?

I fail to see a connection between choice of music and ones character.

Bloss

PS: As Gassor rightly pointed out in Aretha's earlier days around 68-72 she did her fair share of protest output compared to many who totally ignored these issues, such as honkey rock.

12. jimi

jimi pfm Member

Agreed and it's Aretha for me.

13. merlin

Interesting.

I see the connection all the time.

How does an artist stir one's emotions if the emotional connection to the lyric is not there?

If the emotional connection to the lyric is there then that forms a part of one's character IMO.

14. jimi

jimi pfm Member

Does classical music stir one's emotions?

15. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

It can be lyrics or the music that can stir emotions, it is only when they are together that nirvana is attained.

Bloss

16. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

Indeed. To say nothing of jazz - Parker, Armstrong, Rollins, Mingus, etc. For me, the music is much more important than the lyrics.

17. merlin

To a degree IME but then I cannot connect any classical piece to a personal experience.

Agree there Bloss. For me though, the content of those lyrics (which connect to the soul) allow an insight into that soul, which is, to all intents and purposes, our character.

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to explain my thinking.

18. merlin

I listen to a lot of old jazz recordings and enjoy them immensely. Not on an emotional level though.

19. Nytechy

Nytechy pfm Member

Aretha's the one that won't let me leave the room if she comes on the radio...

20. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

I can see that now Merlin.

Bloss