1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Nina Simone or Aretha Franklin?

Discussion in 'music' started by merlin, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Engels

Engels pfm Member

Both...

Simples...

2. oldius

oldius pfm Member

Nina is the most soulful singer I know, if soul is the music that hits you in the gut, taps your feet and makes you feel alive. She feels every single lyric.

Aretha is probably the genre's greatest ever singer. A far better singer than Nina, but is that what is being asked?

3. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

I think your answer is in the posts.

Bloss

4. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Even if not so, or an over-simplification, this hits it on the head as to what I hear (although Dylan is total anathema to me).

As for what stirs anyone's feelings - for me that is neither lyrics nor music - personally, I actually seldom actually LISTEN to lyrics. What stirs me is the emotion conveyed in lyrics and/or music as instrumentals are as likely to hit hard as are either solo vocals or accompanied voice.

How the flying £"%**$% does anyone live a life without music being more than, at most, background mush?

5. rough edges

rough edges pfm Member

I just love Nina Simone's cover of "The Ballad of Hollis Brown". Raw and very convincing...

BB

6. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Aretha Franklin sings like an Angel, Nini Simone doesn't come close.

Billie Holiday and AF are out there on their own then there's Ella and then the rest, NS is amongst the rest.

7. Jonathan Ribee

Jonathan Ribee Unavailable at present

These two singers should not be on the same list for comparison.

8. suzywong

suzywong The Man who had no Naim

With no prejudice, Nina......

9. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

Indeed, but what else is there to do

Bloss

10. merlin

merlin pfm Member

Why Jonathan?

11. rich46

rich46 pfm Member

nina class musician . Aretha enjoyable cant compare

12. richgilb

richgilb pfm Member

Nina, mainly because of this one. I also like its rude lyrics. I don't have a preference between jazz, blues or soul. This song seems to be all three.

[YOUTUBE]hCTP5zjQTWE[/YOUTUBE]

13. HairyHaggis

HairyHaggis neither hairy nor a haggis!

lyrics schmiricks. if i ever had to choose (and thankfully that's not the case) it would be aretha all the way... partly because of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xoagkpi5B4Q

the songwriting, the arrangements, the emotion, muscle shoals...but mainly because of aretha, what a girl, what a singer :)

14. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

You can't compare them, but if you did, it's got to be Nina.

15. merlin

merlin pfm Member

David, you are not comparing like with like.

You are comparing chalk to cheese to gain insight into our characters.

16. dudywoxer

dudywoxer pfm Member

one can sing a bit, the other really can not. I seem to have a collection of music performed by singers who can not. It's a good thing Aretha could sing, Nina really doesn't need to.

17. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Nina if you are dead...Aretha if you have soul
    Aretha 10, Nina 3.

18. matt j

matt j pfm Member

They aren't comparable IMO - one is an artist the other a singer.

Nina every time.

19. rbrown

rbrown I think therefore I think I am

Having just played “One for my baby (and one more for the road)”, the correct answer is, of course, Ella.

20. Still

Still gyldengourd