1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Nina Simone or Aretha Franklin?

Discussion in 'music' started by merlin, Sep 19, 2017.

1. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

To be fair, as far as I can remember, the most militant thing Ella ever sung of note was to suggest that it could be a bit damp in London on occasion.

2. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Nina Simone or Aretha Franklin?

Whose work speaks to your soul?

See, since Lady Soul sings soul, and the Fitz girl sings a sort of bluesy jazzy style, there's still just the one answer.
    If the Q was, who has the more emotional voice, it'd be closer.

3. gassor

gassor "There may be more posts after this."

Ella has the purest, most joyful voice I have come across. Her timing is perfect and she hits every note with ease.

In some ways the other extreme (for me) is Billie Holiday who emotes every line in her pained world weary way. She can have a light touch and knows how to grab a tune. Her voice changed quite a bit in her life, but is is never less than totally arresting.

If asked to choose I reckon;

Aretha Franklin
    Billie Holliday
    Ella Fitzgerald
    Patsy Cline*
    Nina Simone
    Dusty Springfield

* Capable of very subtle, contained emotion and her voice is crystal clear.

4. MichaelC

MichaelC pfm Member

This is what I like about PFM. To very recently I had not really tried the worlds of Nina Simone and Aretha Franklin. Chatting about this Mrs C said she used to love listening to them when she was a teenager. So, enter Nina Sings The Blues and an Aretha best of. For me, Nina Simone wins hands down, she's got soul!

5. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

Another singer who could compete with Nina and Aretha would be Odetta. Totally missed her first time around.

Bloss

6. jimi

jimi pfm Member

I have a CD of her singing Dylan covers she has a very powerful voice imo not as good as Aretha though.

7. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

I know what you mean, a bit like Joan Armatrading, Apparently she was an activist in the civil rights movement, been around since the 50's.

Bloss

8. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Impossible to compare them, so different in every way. But Aretha sends shivers down my spine.

Its a bit like saying John Coltrane or Sonny Rollins. Or meat or fish.

9. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

But Aretha has this unique, most amazing voice. Simone can be a bit gruesome and depressing.

10. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 Expert in sheep worrying.

Picked up on this thread rather late but I’ll give my thoughts anyway. I think they’re both amazing but both very different. For me, Aretha wins, I listen to her music a lot more than Nina Simone and I’ve quite often said that she’s the best female singer in the world... in my opinion of course. Her rendition of Bridge Over Troubled Water makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

11. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

I think the op was as much interested in their choice of material and lyrical content, rather than the voice quality alone.

Bloss

12. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

Let me try this out as a theory.

Many of us will have grown up with Aretha music playing, it touches our memories and tugs our emotions. The same is not the case with Nina, I can't recall Nina being popular in my formative years, this alone colours my opinion. As an example - Aretha / I Say a Little Prayer; it's hard for me a imagine a more perfect song. It's not just vocal range but timing and production too. I terms of lyrics - I rarely listen to lyrics, instead I hear vocals as an instrument; this is down to the way my brain executes its phonological processing.

13. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

Nina did a fair bit of composing, and piano playing. I listen to her more.

14. The Strat

The Strat Meet the new boss, same as the

When I was in my teens there were 2 singers who always grabbed my attention like no others. One was Aretha although strangely I owned none of her albums and the other was Paul Rogers. And to this very day it's the same. But at the time I didn't really understand jazz and even now I'm still relatively uneducated. However, I'm slowly discovering Nina, her voice is compelling, her music very topical and as been said a very good pianist. There's room for both - surely?