1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Northern Soul

Discussion in 'music' started by RobFTM, Jul 21, 2016.

1. blossomchris

blossomchris pfm Member

Not forgetting Little Stevie and the Temps.

Bloss

2. Mullardman

Mullardman Resident Philistine

Just for info.. Northern Soul is NOT a 'genre'. I suppose it might be described as a 'style''.. but that doesn't really cover it. Essentially, a tune is Northern' if the 'Northern' crowd say it is....

I started DJ ing around 1967, but had already independently discovered the sort of soul/R&B which often became labelled 'Northern'. after making it through the filter of opinion. We played Motown, Stax, Atlantic stuff. More obscure stuff from labels such as VeeJay and Minit, plus lots of Ska, Rock Steady etc. We also played anything from the current chart that was vaguely danceable.

Over time, a few songs that we were playing all this time started to acquire a sort of 'exalted' status. For e.g. The Right Track ( Billy Butler ), Boogaloo Party ( Flamingoes ) Just a Little Misunderstanding ( Contours) 'Open the Door to Your Heart ( Daryl Banks). Sixty Minutes ' ( Homer Banks) and many more.

I walked away from DJ ing around '71. By that time Dave Godin's term 'Northern Soul' was just beginning to get wider recognition.

From here in a lot of the tunes I'd played earlier suddenly became 'Northern Soul Classics'. But then a lot of equally worthy stuff didn't. In many ways the classic soul that DIDN'T make the cut as far as the Northern crowd was concerned, sort of defined Northern. There was a preoccupation with the beat and the tempo. More than a few songs that had nothing to do with soul, made it into the Northern 'canon', just by virtue of the correct tempo and beat.

But a lot of stuff.. especially the early and slower 'funky stuff' from Stax for example.. never really featured in 'Northern'.

The obsession with 'rarity' and obscurity led to a race for 'new' stuff which ended with Northern in effect disappearing up it's own centre hole.

Don't get me wrong.. I still love most of the Northern stuff.. but it was always a peculiar scene. A sort of musical blind alley of increasingly stylised and tightly defined sounds.

Even an old friend of mine who was originally barely old enough to be in the clubs I played, but has since gone on to organise 'Northern nights.. also organises less 'purist' '60's nights.

I have literally dozens of Northern compilations, but it's a bit late for rummaging now...

Mull

3. springer

springer pfm Member

FOPP usually have the 'Move On Up' triple CD sets for £3 a pop. I've got many NS comps, but these are possibly the most comprehensive.

4. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

This mornings top three Northern Soul tunes.

1.Sharon Scott- It's better what a tune!

2. Beverley Ann- He's coming home.

3. Erma Franklin- Whispers ( getting louder.)

Too many others to mention.:D