1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Nytech Audio / Ion Systems Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'classic' started by deltaunit, Oct 17, 2011.

1. winchman

winchman pfm Member

I emailed and had a nice reply they can service my Obelisk, it says Ion systems on it but its not the modern tat on Ebay etc bearing the name. Checked the date label on the base and shocked to find its 30 years old!

2. nitrous

nitrous pfm Member

Good news!

My 202 is at least 30 years old and probably nearer to 35! I'm listening to it now and still sounds great.

3. oldgit

oldgit pfm Member

Have just completed my collection of ARC speakers.
    Pair of 202 are about join the gang.
    Will see how they match up to the 050,101,102 and pair of early Sara isobariks.
    All run actively.
    Also have a really old pair of non passive/active 101s.

4. NRWler04

NRWler04 pfm Member

Do you have an idea where to find another pair of 202's? I'm also interested for my ARC Collection :rolleyes:

5. synapse

synapse pfm Member

very slightly off topic but what is a modern replacement for the tweeters on 050 active...I have a pair but feel they might be 'off' slightly or could be smoother a tad sometimes

6. NRWler04

NRWler04 pfm Member

You can replace it with HiQuphone OW2 .... the sound is great:p

Recone the 801 Bass/Mid-Driver will help also to bring back the wonderfull sound.

7. synapse

synapse pfm Member

many thanks.....any changes needed within crossover or a direct swap with HiQuphone OW2?

8. NRWler04

NRWler04 pfm Member

Just adopt the volume level of the active XOver by listening ..... are you using an original Nytech EXO?

Give me a PM if you are interested in more details.

9. synapse

synapse pfm Member

yes...am using Nytech EXO 252s

HiQuphon OW2 seem a bit thin on the ground and correspondingly a little pricey....is there anyone in UK who stocks these or is best bet to go straight to HiQuphon in DK?

10. NRWler04

NRWler04 pfm Member

For the new ARC 050 & 102 we get the OW2 directly from Oskar Wroending. You can order directly from Hiquphon .........

In the CXA252 there are trim pots for the volume level. With these pots you can adjust the volume level. Need to have a look to one of my cards to see, which side is HF and LF.

From my experience with the new passive XOvers, where the new passive XOver-Card works also with the original 050, it should play out of the box ........

11. NRWler04

NRWler04 pfm Member

12. oldgit

oldgit pfm Member

Could not afford them new and tracking down a secondhand set at the sort of money I was prepared to pay took 40 years. :)

Interesting to compare with the Saras.

The 202 are delicate and beguiling and woo you with nice stereo image.
    The Saras grab you by the throat and beat you into submission with the bass,there may be stereo image in there somewhere,when I find it will let you know.
    :):):)

13. Thetiminator

Thetiminator pfm Member

252 reviewed in this months HFNR&R

14. James46

James46 The Crystal Method

Just bought a CA302 and high hopes for it with some ARC 101 and ARC 050. I have owned CP112/602, CA252 and various CTA252XA in the past. I also have a CTA252XA that probably needs a service as the lights keep going out and then working, wonderful tuner though.

I have been running the ARC050 with a Audio Synthesis 2 way active X/Over and two Audio Vois 210 power amps. Any ideas on what would be a better x/over for the Arc's?

15. Nytecholdie

Nytecholdie pfm Member

You could try and find an original Nytech EXO102 electronic crossover on the second hand market if you want to use your existing power amps, or if you can get your hands on a CXA252 crossover amplifier you could use yor CA302 or CTA252 if you wanted a "genuine" Nytech/ARC classic system.

All can be serviced / restored and we have a small stock of original Crossover boards as well as a new upgraded one if you get one without the crossover board in it.

Hope this helps

Phil

16. NRWler04

NRWler04 pfm Member

Have a look here ....

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1008066895972085&id=972219346223507

17. James46

Thanks.

18. James46

19. Ugly Tuco

Ugly Tuco Member

Can somebody share the schematic diagram for CA202?

20. snowman_al

snowman_al pfm Member

They are already posted, try here, post #10: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=163214

The CA202 and CA252 are much the same.

The CA202 has several versions, with different power/phono boards and pre-amp layouts. Nothing you cannot work out though (and a bit of Google).