1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Nytech Audio / Ion Systems Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'classic' started by deltaunit, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Ugly Tuco

Ugly Tuco Member

Thank You for the feed back. Unfortunately the thread is realy huge so I couldn`t find any information about schematic.

How can I recognized the version of 202?

2. snowman_al

snowman_al pfm Member

From memory,
    Earlier version has a thinner mains transformer, mains fuse on the input/power supply board and P1041.2 volume control boards.

[​IMG]

Later versions have a thicker (CA252) mains transformer, the mains fuse is moved to the switch board and the volume control board is P1041.3 (volume and balance pots both on input side of the circuit).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm sure by now there are all sorts of variations though...

3. Ugly Tuco

Ugly Tuco Member

Thank You very much! Please could You tell me what is the weakest link of the 202?

4. oldgit

oldgit pfm Member

For anyone interested have been using my ARC 202 speakers with my active Nytech setup for some time now.
    Am extremely pleased with them. The bass extention over the 050/101/102 previously employed is noticable.
    Far better stereo image than a pair of active Saras as well.
    Probably now time to cull my collection of the smaller ARC speakers and sell them on ebay. ?

5. NRWler04

NRWler04 pfm Member

If you want to sell your 202's, just let me know ......:p

Currently I'm thinking to build new ones ........ I have everything needed available.

6. Ugly Tuco

Ugly Tuco Member

Somebody please help to identify (or reccomend the substitute) the potentiometer installed on the Obelisk 3X old version with the the DIN inputs?

7. snowman_al

snowman_al pfm Member

ALPS 50k dual log pot.
    This if you want original there may be some here: http://www.electronicsurplus.com/alps-vr-1541-50kax2-potentiometer-dual-50k-ohm-package-of-10

I had to replace my Obelisk 1 pot (same as yours). I was going to use an Alps Blue, but it would have needed 'board surgery'.

In the end I fitted it with a modern miniature Alps version. Like this: https://photos.app.goo.gl/t0E0TGYdTWuV4iqc2
    I used the original pot frame (reversed) to mount the new one. Made short leads to fit the board holes and filed the shaft to match the 'D' of the original. Worked fine for me.

8. Ugly Tuco

Ugly Tuco Member

Thank You very much! My Obelisk is in "modern" case with the red logo but the potentiometer is the same. I`ll go with the original ALPS. What is the reason to install the different pot?

9. snowman_al

snowman_al pfm Member

''What is the reason to install the different pot?'' Just that it was the simplest, and available, option for me at the time.

I have never seen an 'earlier' board in the the 'later' chassis, interesting. I guess there is still not enough room to mount a better Alps Blue in there?

Out of interest, which output board is fitted? Are the output capacitors mounted vertically or horizontally?

10. Ugly Tuco

Ugly Tuco Member

The quality is poor later I can make new photoes.

https://flic.kr/p/CB4PW5

https://flic.kr/p/CB4QCW

11. ansis

ansis pfm Member

Very nice work!

12. Dark Energy

Dark Energy pfm Member

Does anyone have the circuit diagrams for the Nytech or Ion systems active crossovers? Or the actual crossovers??? I have fond memories of the big Ion amplifiers, as well as the CTA252XDII oh what fun! Those WERE the days!

13. Dowser

Dowser Learning to bodge again..

I have some of the actual crossover Boards somewhere gathering dust - keep meaning to list them on eBay - there’s a thread in DIY started by me with pictures and details in Classic somewhere. Let me know if interested :)

Richard

14. cpg

cpg New Member

Hello Dowser,
    if you have a few ION active crossover boards I would be very interested in acquiring them.
    I have some MA400 amps (4) and would love to try themactively with a pair of ARC 101 speakers that I am currently restoring.

Chris

15. Dark Energy

Dark Energy pfm Member

Indeed I am interested! PM would be better.

16. Dowser

Dowser Learning to bodge again..