1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh Britain, what have you done (part XXII)?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by richgilb, Oct 14, 2017.

1. wacko

wacko pfm Member

2. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Report #1 - "We're doomed. Utterly F*****"
    Report #2 - "What he said"
    Report #3 - "What they said"
    Rinse, and repeat until #=58

3. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  4. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

5. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

First we had reports of crops rotting in East Anglia, now it's Cornwall.

"Crops are rotting in the fields as Cornish farms have been unable to fully harvest crops this year due to a sharp fall in migrant labour.
    Cornwall Council is calling on the government to make sure future migration laws deliver the right skills for the Cornish economy to prosper after the UK exits the EU." http://www.southwestfarmer.co.uk/ne...n_fields_due_to_sharp_fall_in_migrant_labour/

If Brexit goes really badly, then we will combine that with a further sharp fall in the pound and massive tariffs for food import and export. And we do that on an island which cannot feed itself.

Still. They need us, etc...

6. wacko

wacko pfm Member

7. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

8. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Banks getting twitchy......reacting like innocent people tend to.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/brexit-donor-blasts-watchdog-as-swamp-creature-grw69n7sv

A Brexit campaign donor has branded the elections watchdog a “swamp creature” that is packed with pro-Remain figures.

Arron Banks, who financed the Leave.EU campaign and is a close ally of Nigel Farage, the former Ukip leader, faces two investigations by the Electoral Commission.

The first is into whether Leave.EU received paid or unpaid services from Cambridge Analytica — a data analysis company based in the UK that helped Donald Trump’s presidential campaign — or Goddard Gunster, an American pollster.

It centres around whether the group broke the law by accepting illegitimate campaign “services” that it failed to declare. Mr Banks said that the Commission had launched the inquiry on the basis of “intense media speculation” and without “a shred of evidence”.

9. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

Bullshit! Banks has all sorts of murky connections to Trump and Putin and is a Crazy Hideous Agent Of Stupid. If he has done anything illegal he needs the book throwing at him. With a bit of luck this’ll bring down Farage as well.

10. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

11. jay

jay built for speed

It's not the migration laws that are currently the issue. It's likely the exchange rate and the unwelcoming attitude of their fellow residents...

12. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

Here's Mr Brexit showing us what we've turned into as a nation.

The World Health Organization says: "WHO welcomes the Vatican's decision to ban the sale of cigarettes as of next year.
    Tobacco kills more than 7 million people every year #NoTobacco "

Nigel Farage says, literally says, actually takes the time to write, literally puts it in public: "The World Health Organisation is just another club of ‘clever people’ who want to bully and tell us what to do. Ignore." https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/928730704510320640

For smoking-related heath matters, ignore the World Health Organization. Listen to Nigel Farage. That is what we've become.

13. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

And Nigel Farage is an ignorant tw*t who wants to bully and tell us what to do. Ignore.

14. Still

Still gyldengourd

15. HairyHaggis

HairyHaggis neither hairy nor a haggis!

i see that our glorious pm, tm, is today announcing the tory intention to enshrine in law, the date and time of our leaving the eu. this, following hard on the heels of dinner with dacre, really makes you think about what these creatures discuss at such events, far from the public eye. that such a crew should be keen to distance themselves from forthcoming eu legislation on off-shore tax havens should come as no surprise. but that they are prepared, at any cost, to drag the uk out of the eu to support this is beyond all decency. i really do wish that the electorate would wake up to what is going on.

government of the people, by the tory party, for the tory party.

16. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

Colin L likes this.
  17. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

18. Still

Still gyldengourd

istm more Dirty Sanchez Xtreme: a series where they inflict life changing injuries upon themselves.

19. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

20. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

Discussions over that Irish border question seem to have heated up a notch or two. As expected, the EU has now stated the only way to safeguard the current border free arrangement (short of the UK staying in the customs union of course) is for Northern Ireland to stay in the EU customs union. This is, of course, anathema to the DUP. Brokenshire duly stated a few days ago that it was essential to safeguard "the integrity of the UK single market". Meanwhile, Ireland has stiffened its position.

No indication from Davis (or anyone else) today of what innovative solutions the parties could come up with to avoid a hard border nightmare between North and South. I still think this is the hardest of the 3 "preliminary" issues.